Lazer HP bogs/kills in reverse, please suggest

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Vibe Ray, Jul 10, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Whenever I go into reverse w/ my Lazer Z HP (19 HP Kaw/60 hours) it bogs down/tries to kill (sorta sounds like a combination of both). It doesn't acyually ever kill, but you hear the engine drop considerably. It only happens when I go in reverse. Now if i go into reverse very slowly, it usually doesn't happen (about half as fast as I normally do). It does this on level ground and hills. Seems to do it a little more frequently on hills. I took it to the dealer a week ago, but it would not do it while he rode it after I dropped it off or while I rode it the next day at the dealer's to try to show him, but the next time I mowed with it, it started to happen again. It used to seem to do it a whole lot more on hills so my dealer suggested he change the mercury tilt safety switch, but I said, if it's not doing it for you or me right now, we'll just play it by ear because it may not be neccessary. But now it even does it on level ground. It also hasn't done it at a lower throttle w/out the blades engaged if that helps. Is this a hydro belt slippage problem, possibly? I've heard many here say they have had problems w/ hrdro belt slippage. Are these symptoms for it? If not, What do you guys think? I will take it to my dealer friday, but would like lawnsite members'/eXmark's opinions on it, thanx very much! Any additional information you need before you answer, just ask for it!

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hello Vibe Ray,

First I'll start with saying that I highly doubt it has anything to do with belt slippage. Belt slippage would not bog/kill the engine like you're mentioning. Too much tension may do this, but I don't think that's the issue here.
    Anyone having belt slippage issues, I would encourage you to email us at the address below, and we'll see what we can do to get the issue resolved.
    Does this only occur right at the moment that you begin going into reverse, or does it continue while in reverse? Do you have the standard seat, or the Suspension Seat?
    If, for the most part, it only does it as you begin to go into reverse, I think it has to do with your seat safety switch being actuated. What leads me to believe this is because you state it only does it at higher speeds or on hills. What I think is happening is that your bracing yourself on the floor pan with your feet and actually coming up out of the seat slightly. This actuates the safety switch and causes the engine to begin to kill. Then as you begin going, you come back into the seat, and the engine fires back up.
    We've also heard of this with our Suspension Seat. What happens with it is the safety switch is located right in the center of the seat. When customers are going over rough ground, they actually brace themselves between the back of the seat and the floorpan, bringing their butt up off of the switch. This probably means that they're bottoming out the suspension, and need to adjust it up a little more.
    Both of these situations have happened to me while out testing, and is amplified by the fact that I'm not very big.
    If it's doing it across level ground, and you don't believe that you're bracing yourself like I described, it could be a loose/contaminated ground. I would look at the negative battery terminal to ensure it's tight and clean. Also look at the ground that is located at the rear left engine mount to ensure that it is also tight and clean.
    It could also be that your seat spring is out of adjustment. The spring should measure between 2 and 2.1 inches. But if you're a lighter person, you may want to make it slightly longer.
    I hope this helps. If not, or if you have any other questions/comments don't hesitate to email us at service@exmark.com

Thanks,
    Lenny

3. SemiPro

SemiPro LawnSite Member

Since you mentioned adjusting the suspension seat I had a question for you. I just got a Toro Z287L which comes with the same suspension seat. There was nothing in the documentation about how to adjust it. I kind of winged it and turned up the tension until I spent most of my time in the middle of the seat's travel range. I still think sometimes that it might not be optimally adjusted. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks.

Don

4. Vibe Ray

Thank you very much for your response, it only occurs right at the moment that you begin going into reverse then stops and I can continue to go in reverse w/ no bogging/killing. BTW: I have a standard seat. I will go check the mower right now for what you said and post the results. Thanx!!!

5. Vibe Ray

Well, I think it may be me lifting off the seat, but not totally sure. I brought the seat further up to the front a little more and and am making sure that I don't lift off the seat and it is happening a whole lot less, but every now and then it still happens. I'm just gonna play it by ear and see what happens. Maybe I'll replace the seat switch and the mercury tilt switch....would you recommend this?

6. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

why don't ypu bypass the seat switch to see what happens

7. Vibe Ray

That's not a bad idea, Dave.

8. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Vibe Ray, only jump the seat switch for testing purpose. Please do not rely on this for a permanent fix. Once you have isolated the problem and fixed it, reconnect the seat switch back into the safety circuit.

Thanks, Fred.