Lazer HP burning grass

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by EJK2352, Sep 2, 2001.

1. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 2001 52" Lazer HP with a 23 horsepower Kohler engine. I had a customer complaining about a brown spot in her lawn. I looked it over and saw no insect damage and got to thinking. I stopped the mower in this area the week before to empty the bags on my UltraVac. As you know the muffler is mounted low on these units and I think is the cause of my problem with the burnt / brown grass. Have you had any other complaints of this nature?? Do you offer any type of heat shield to stop this from happening?? Thanks, ED
  2. mountainviewland

mountainviewland LawnSite Member

We had the same problem when we had a loner unit. With the new unit we shut it off or pull off the lawn.
  3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

We have had some comments regarding browning of grass when the mower is left running, generally at full rpm, on a lawn in a stationary position.

To prevent this your mower should have two heat shields installed on the rear engine deck. With your serial number we should be able to determine which heat shield(s) you have and which one(s) you need.

The first heat shield is located behind the engine on the top of the engine deck. I will have two elongated notches cut out of it that fit around the header pipe for the muffler. This shield should be bent at an angle to deflect hot air from the cooling fins of the engine in an upward direction.

The second should be mounted to the lower section of the frame at the rear of the engine deck. It looks like a flat piece of sheet metal that extends the lower lip of the frame.

Both heat shields are intended to redirect hot air generated by the cooling of your air-cooled engine when the mower is stationary at full rpm. Generally this is not a concern with the heat shields in place or if the engine is throttled down.

You can contact me directly at with your serial number or have you mower inspected by your local dealer.

Thank you

4. Jay ALC

Jay ALC LawnSite Member

My Exmark Lazer HP 48" with the 21HP Kaw has done the very same thing but I believe it is from the exhaust pipe? I have another prob with it backfiring every time it is shut down also. THe dealer looked at it and replaced the fuel selenoid but it still backfires. Thanks.
  5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Check to see if you have the lower baffle in place or have your unit inspected by your Exmark dealer.

I don't believe we have had any incidents of browning due to any other reason than the air used to cool the engine. Once the heat shield has been installed, I don't believe we have heard any further comments regarding the browning of grass. It is still however recommended that you throttle down when your machine is parked to help reduce the possibility of further incidents.

Thank you