Lazer HP hydro belt

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by jrblawncare, Jul 19, 2001.

1. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Hello Exmark,I have a Lazer HP w/180 hrs on it,I'am starting to hear alot of "knocking" and starting to get from time to time some slippage in my drive system.At first I thought it was a pump acting up.....but I beleave its the belt,spring,idler.The book states "no adjustment need." Any Ideas anyone..Thanks John
  2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you been greasing the hydro belt idler arm on your unit??
    I have 300+ hrs on my HP 52 and haven't had any problems w/ my pump belt. I grease my unit weekly. ED
  3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

First let me say for most concerns relating to the hydro system you should have your unit inspected by your dealer. If there is a problem with the pumps or wheel motors you will want to get them inspected as soon as possible before the components fail. This is unlikely but it’s better to be safe than sorry.

My first impression however is that the problem is probably in the pump drive idler. I would verify that the pump drive idler has been getting lubricated. This is probably the most overlooked grease zerk on the Lazer Z HP series because it is out of sight and out of mind. If it has not been greased on a regular basis you may feel some drag or added resistance when you try to make the arm pivot. You may also find that the arm does not want to “spring” back or properly tension the pump drive belt. If either of these is the case, remove the idler arm, clean the pivot with emery cloth, smear it with grease, re-install and lubricate with your grease gun at the grease zerk. General symptoms of a pump drive idler issue would be, hesitation when making turns, unit may slow down under the added load of an uphill grade or it may pull to the right when on an uphill grade.

If you find that the idler is functioning fine, take your unit to your dealer. As a general rule most items on your mower can be repaired by the average do-it-yourselfer. In the area of hydraulics however you will want a qualified technician to look at your machine.

Please let me know what you find out. You can e-mail me at

Thank you

4. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

John....Mine did this when I first bought it. They finally put a stronger spring on the hydro belt tensioner. Hasn't done it since.
  5. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

just for the heck of it have you looked at the belt itself?
    I had one go bad on my Toro compact which is the same machine with a different deck on it.
    I had a chunk out of it and vibrated and made knocking noises when it happened.

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

My TT hydro has a habit of knocking chunks off the belts and causes the symptoms you describe.