1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lazer HP Hydro Fluid Leaking out Vent hole

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by odiornepoint, Jun 8, 2006.

1. odiornepoint

odiornepoint LawnSite Member

I have a 2000 Lazer HP and it is leaking hydro fluid out of the vent
    hole on the hydro fluid cover. It leaks onto the hot exhaust, and I'm
    afraid it may catch on fire.

What causes the hydro fluid to leak. It usually starts leaking after the
    mower has warmed up for about 20 minutes.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. viper00085

viper00085 LawnSite Member
    from NC/VA

of course you have prolly already checked this, but make sure the level is correct in the tank. it should be just to the top of the baffle in the tank.

if thats ok, then its sucking air somewhere that caused it to foam up and build pressure and shoot out of the vent hole in the cap. check all your supply lines for tightness and hydro filter. your situation is exactly what happens when its sucking air, fine for 15-25 mins and then here comed the hydro oil. Just check all the lines/fittings/filter head/filter really well.
  3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write in.

My first guess would be you have air in the hydraulic system causing it to over flow after the unit has warmed up. Have you checked the fluid when it is over flowing?? Is it foamy looking? If so, you have air in the system. This can take place after an oil change, filter change or simply if you have a loose fitting or hose on the unit.

First thing to do is to go over the unit and make sure all fittings, hoses and oil filter is tight. Once that is done, you will need to jack up the rear of the machine and put the levers in motion for a few minutes to warm it up (you can use wood blocks to put behind the levers). While the unit is running, crack open one of the four wheel motor hoses to let the air 'bleed' out. You only need to loosen enough to get air or just a little oil coming out. Do this procedure on all four hoses and that should take care of the air in the lines. Be sure to watch your oil level to make sure it does not drop too low.

Thanks for writing in and be sure to contact us again for any further assistance.

Christie Moore
    Exmark Customer Service Associate
  4. odiornepoint

I'll give your suggestions a try and report back my findings.

Great suggestions!

Thank you,

- Gerry
  5. odiornepoint

This weekend, I changed the hydro filter and added new Mobil1 15W-50 oil.

I pre-filled the filter with fluid. I filled the reservoir to just above the baffle.

When I was mowing yesterday, everthing was fine for the first 20 minutes, then I notices a little oil coming out the vent hole again. I stopped the mower
    and opened the reservoir. The fluid was NOT foaming at all, but it appeared to have expanded enough so that it was right up to the top of the reservoir.
    The fluid was clear with no signs of air bubbles or foam at all.

Should I be checking the level only when the fluid is warm? I usually check it
    before I start the mower, along with the oil, etc.

- Gerry