Lazer HP leaving strips of grass.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mad_wrestler, Apr 12, 2005.

1. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

I just purchased a new EXmark 48" Lazer HP 19 Hp Kawa. I have installed a mulching kit and that is it. I notice that a strip of grass seems to show up time to time not mowed. What are some things that would cause this? Is it normal to have to take the mower back after a purchase to get some fine tuning done to it? Lastly, with the mulching kit installed, which blades would you recommend? Thanks
  2. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I would for sure take it back to dealer since it is new. Mine never leaves any uncut grass, they are great mowers. SUre it is just a minor adjusment needed. I would go with either to exmark mulch blade or the gator blades.
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

How much grass are you cutting off while using the mulching setup?(maybe the grass is too long,mulchers don't work well if too much growth is cut at one time)
  4. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

exmark mulching blades and a slight rack on deck higher in back , should do it, and like above said try not to cut more than 4 inches at a time
  5. mad_wrestler

What does "slight rack" mean. I am currently using Exmark mulching blades. Also the grass wasn't high at all.
  6. Spirit Lanwcare

Spirit Lanwcare LawnSite Member

Take it back to the dealer and have them check it over.
  7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Set your tire pressure @ 12psi all around.

Drive mower onto a level surface.

Measure the distance from the ground to the end of each blade with blades turned fore and aft. Each blade should be between 1/8" and 1/4" lower at the front of the deck than at the back.

Blades must be sharp.

Since this deck is set up for mulching it would be a good idea to use mulching blades.

Spend some quality time with the owner's manual.

8. mad_wrestler

Great. I'll check the tire pressure and adjust accordingly. Then I will take my measurements. The blades that I am using are the ones that came with the mulching kit provided by EXmark. So they should be sharp, right? If this stuff doesn't take care of it then I will take it to the dealer. Also, would low RPMs cause this? It seems like there is not any change in speed from 3/4 throttle to full throttle. Thanks.
  9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Take it back and have them put the tachometer on the engine. I noticed my new 27-60 seemed a little weak and had them check it. It was only turning 3400 rpm........they adjusted it to 3760 and it helped a bunch. Mine however was not leaving any grass behind, just a little weak.
  10. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

PROBLEM: It leaves a "strip of grass un-cut".
    ........Bent Blade causing the over lap to not cut a full 360deg. area

Corrective action: Locate bent blade & replace.