1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lazer HP on 45* degree sloping hill?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MTR, May 17, 2003.

1. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Hi, everyone, it 's been quite a while since my last post, well, so busy cutting grass, not much time to surf now.
    I have a bothering question about Lazer HP or any other ZTR on their ability to cut a 45* degree hill, will it hold up and finish the job?
    I just got 2 new accounts in high-end community which have pretty much 45* degree sloping hill as their back yards overlooking far-away lake. So far, my 36" Metro with Jungle wheels have been performing great but I prefer walking with 2nd or 3th gear when I cut their 45* backyars to standing on jungle wheels, the sulky holds up to the hill but when it's wet it left some rut as the mower cutting across the lawn with that steep hill.
    Well, anyone of you have used ZTR to cut 45* degree yard?
    I ask because my upgrade is 48"Lazer HP and I want to know will it hold like glue to the 45* hill?

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

A 48" HP is a NARROW width mower.

I'd put my 60" Fullsize Lazer on it though. 72"er would be even better.

I hate hills though, and have been "weeding" them out for a while now.

Good Luck!

P.S. go with a 52" HP unless you need to go thru 49" gates!
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

this thread brings back memories of a post by Joshua if im correct. he said he could mow 45 degree slopes no problem with a ztr. it may be possible, but it will not be fun, and is wicked dangerous. ill search through the posts and see if i can find it.
  4. gvlawncare

gvlawncare LawnSite Member

If you are going to mow a 45 degree slope with a ZTR or any other type of riding lawn mower you are one of two things, either crazy or stupid. Just my opinion, but it's very unsafe in my opinion. Good Luck. MATT
  5. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I was mowing on a slope, that was steep enough to make me nervous...dont know if it was quite a 45*. Im going around a circlular pinestraw bed at the foot of a very large pine tree and I start slowly sliding sideways , DOWN the slope. I was on a root.

Lessons learned:

1) Go up and down w/ a ZTR on a slope....slowly
    2) Bring a change of underware...just in case
  6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Amen on hating hills. I think 45 degrees is pretty darn steep, I'm not sure if any mower could do that steep. I do a really steep long hill with my 48" lazer hp, and my advice is...do not ever try to go downhill! I mow it either accross the slope or by backing down the hill and driving up.

Note, the new tires on the HP this year are not as grippy as the previous years. Even pressured down, they slide like crazy compared to my last hp.
  7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Bruce 32, I always mow across the slope, never risk cutting up and down even I use Metro! First day it was tough, now in the 3rd month, I just go crossing from top to bottom then, working my way up across the hill, path by path until I reach the top of hill, very simple starting from bottom is easiest to control the mower...and the Metro holds like what WB is supposed to be doing, cutting the hill where ZTR can't do well.
    It seems like you are suggesting giving these accounts away if folks can not ride the Z on it! I can't afford to do that, this is very affluent neighbor once you're in you 'd better establish your name real good.
  8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

this subject generally provokes alot of responses.

I can't remember the consensus of all previous threads but I am gonna take the position that no one is gonna be mowing a 45 degree sloping hill with a rider and WB's are gonna be real tough.

take a large piece of paper and draw a square. then make a 45 degree line on the paper by connecting the opposing corners.

I'll bet that it is probably gonna look alot steeper than your hill.

bristol speedway=33 degrees. or is it 35? you almost can't walk up that hill.

in any event is sounds dangerous. be careful!

9. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Can't say for sure, but 45 degrees is very steep....

You can get a protractor (?) I think its called from Lowes fro about $15.00 - $20.00 ; or

You could drive down a stake, run a string with a string level, then measure down to the ground. The string length, (use 5') is the run, measure from the top of the second stake down to the ground , this is the rise.
    The distance; lets say its 5' run with a 1' rise, then the ratio is 5 to 1. divide the rise by the run and multiply by 100....
    1/5 = .2 *100= 20%.

The maximun for lawns is supposed to be 25%, which is pretty steep.

On a 30% slope a tractor will tip over. ;)
  10. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

This year I have two of the hairyiest hills ever. One I mow with ferris ZTR and one is with walk behind , lake at bottom. Both would be un-doable with a few more degrees. I will have to remember to throw my camera and magnetic protractor in the truck next week. The WB hill actually crab walks along the side. Forget straight lines.