1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lazer HP on 45* degree sloping hill?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by MTR, May 17, 2003.

1. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Hi, everyone, it 's been quite a while since my last post, well, so busy cutting grass, not much time to surf now.
    I have a bothering question about Lazer HP or any other ZTR on their ability to cut a 45* degree hill, will it hold up and finish the job?
    I just got 2 new accounts in high-end community which have pretty much 45* degree sloping hill as their back yards overlooking far-away lake. So far, my 36" Metro with Jungle wheels have been performing great but I prefer walking with 2nd or 3th gear when I cut their 45* backyars to standing on jungle wheels (step off and walk along sulky, working up from bottom of hill), the sulky holds up to the hill but when it's wet it left some rut as the mower cutting across the lawn with that steep hill.
    Well, anyone of you have used ZTR to cut 45* degree yard?
    I ask because my upgrade is 48"Lazer HP and I want to know will it hold like glue to the 45* hill?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Sorry, in our opinion the Lazer HP will NOT hold a 45 degree hill. We do not recommend it for anything greater than 15 degrees. 45 degrees is really, really steep. We also only recommend a maximum of 20 degrees for the walk behinds.

3. MTR

from Florida

Thanks Terry for your reply.
    I think I might have given you wrong figure on degree of steepness, probably about 35* degree. No wonder, none of the Z have cut those properties.
    Well, I have been cutting with the Metro going 3 rd month now, they are still new accounts but so far so good. There is no way I will mow with trimmer or a 21" cause the look is totally different from the 36" Metro.
    Thanks for your input.
  4. wacamaster

wacamaster LawnSite Member
    from MI

If the yard is only very steep in a small portion of the yard, I recommend going down it backwards.
  5. MTR

from Florida

Wacamaster, I know what you mean, but these properties have full size steep backyards, as soon as you pass the pool area, the yards start to slope down, the steepness are about 100 + feet both width and length, so you have a full portion of yard to cut as crabwalking your WB. Going down and up as straight path is out of question, cuase you will risk breaking away on down hill and tearing up turf on way up.
  6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

not with me on it!

if there is a lake at the bottom of the hill i sure wouldn't ride a Z on it. i'd stick with the WB just to be safe, that's still a lot of slope for one of those.
  7. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

Hey all,

I've seen this mentioned a few times recently, and I'm just wondering exactly what it means. Does it simply mean that you can lose traction and slide down hill - or does it mean that the hydro system can fail (either temporarily or permanently) and you end up free-wheeling down?
  8. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Big Dave,

The concern in loss of traction at the drive tires, which allows the mower to skid, down the hill.

We preach pretty hard and heavy about hills, slopes and our recommended 15-degree maximum for riding mowers and 19 degrees for walk behind mowers. We probably preach about it as much or more than any manufacturer in our industry. The real issue is safety. Not only safety of the operator but of those around him/her as well.

As an operator your control of the machine is closely related to the traction of the drive tires. Think of your lawnmower in the same manner you do your car. If youÂ’re on ice or snow or in wet or muddy terrain you have less control if the tires can't get traction. On your car you can't steer if the front tires can't get traction. You also can't accelerate if you can't get traction to the drive tires whether the car is front drive, rear drive or both. Consequently you have less control.

The big difference between your car and a zero turn mower (walk or ride on) is the number of tires that control motion. On a zero turn mower has two wheels that control the steering, direction, and stopping of the unit. If you loose traction to the drive tires you have less control.

Just like your car the drive system, steering system and braking system are still functioning fine they just can't transmit your input to the ground surface.

I hope that helps.

9. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

Thanks once again Terry. As mentioned, I had seen several posts lately about people "losing it" down a hill, and I didn't know if it was common for the drive system to give out on a down-hill. Thanks for explaining that more than likely, they're referring to loss of traction.
  10. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I will cut with my laser on any hill, its knowing the limitations and a lot of practice. I have well over 10k hours on lasers. Going up is no problem, its coming down thats the trick. :) A wise man once said, when cutting across a hill always turn up the hill and back down when going back the other direction!!! :)