Lazer HP or Lazer Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fairwayCuts, Mar 31, 2005.

1. fairwayCuts

fairwayCuts LawnSite Member

I've been down at the local dealer and I'm trying to figure out what ztr to buy. He's got a Lazer HP 23hp 52" for 7400, Lazer Z 23hp 60" 7000 and a Lazer Z 20hp 52" for 6400. I'm guessing the 20hp is just not enough(let me know what you think. As far as the other 2, I've been leaning on the HP. Seems like an ok price, and it'll be good size for my trailer. Are these good prices? Also another dealer in town has got a Lazer Z 27hp 52" for 8400. Seems a bit high to me. Also do you guys find that you can talk the prices down or are they pretty much set? thanks!

2. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

IMHO the Lazer HP would be the best choice, in the full size units the 60" is under powered and the 52" wont have any trim side. I use the HP on all my accounts (large and small) and have contemplated moving up to the full size machine but I feel the extra weight and size would be counter productive as even my large properties have a lot of tight landscaping. My HP tricked out + tax was $10900 in 03 so $7400 is not too bad a price.

3. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Its a 28 hp EFI 60 in dmo model with 80 hrs on it. Im trying to sell to replace with Walker

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

If you have smaller props go with the HP. If you demo both the 60" lazer and the 52" HP, you will find great trimming with the 52HP then with the 60" lazer.

If your props are bigger get the 60" with at least a 27 Kohler and have someone trim for you. See the 24-12-12's give NO trim side at all and the tires pull the bush branches down and even break them.

I now run a HP 52 and am amazed with its trimming ability and Quickness in tight places.

John

5. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I run both a 52 Hp and a 60 inch Lazer. It all depends on yours lawns. The Hp is a great mower to get in and out of tight spaces. Trimming side is also a big plus. For the 60 I like the ultra cut deck. So there are pros and cons to both mowers. but if you have alot or lawns under half acre I would go with HP. A quick little mower and great in tight spots. good luck.

6. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 LawnSite Member

I have the Lazer Z AS, that is the 60" with the 23HP. In dry grass it is excellent, and in tall wet grass it is good. I couldn't complain with the price difference between the AS and regular Z. Last year the AS was 7600, and the Z was 8700. 1,100 wasn't worth 4HP. At this point in time your looking at about a 2,000 dollar difference. Good luck!