Lazer HP vs Hustler Mini Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr Ricochet, May 12, 2006.

1. Mr Ricochet

Mr Ricochet LawnSite Member

I am trying to decide between the HP and the Mini Z. I have only owned Exmark WB and , am very happy with Exmark and my dealer. I must have a deck smaller than 48 inches due to many residential accounts. The thing about the Lazer HP that is really concerning me is that the 46 inch deck only comes with a 19 hp Kawi. Somehow I don't think this will be enough power. I looked at the 44 inch Mini Z and can get a 23 hp kawi on it which, would be plenty of power....................After doing some reading I've created some questions. The Mini Z only has a deck depth of 4 inches compared to the Triton deck that is 6 inches which, is quite a difference. I have also read that some guys are having some issues with the Tritons cut............I am new to riders and am solo so I have no one to help me determine what is the most important features when choosing a rider. Correct me if I'm wrong but horsepower and deck depth seem most important.......... Has anyone had any experience with one or both of these mowers and, can help me choose between them? What features are most important when choosing a rider? Is the 46 inch Lazer under powered? Is a 4 inch deck too shallow?.............Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. LandscapeMasterpieceGA

LandscapeMasterpieceGA LawnSite Member

all about the hustler...search some threads

3. lazer9284

lazer9284 LawnSite Member
    from florida

its not exactly as easy as horsepower and deck depth...
    the main thing that is needed to keep the grass moving out of the deck is AIRFLOW. The better the airflow.... the less horsepower required to move the grass thru the deck. Exmark calls it "flow control baffles". It works well with a 19hp on the 46, In florida with a mulch kit and thick st augustine, have had not 1 power issue with that mower, in fact it outperforms my 48 lazer hp and it has a 23hp kavi on that.
    If you are happy with Exmark ....dont leave the brand, its that simple.

4. Mr Ricochet

Thank's guys. Lazer 9284, how are you finding the Triton decks cut compared to the Trivantage on your 48 inch Lazer?.........Good points and I will listen to all advice offered.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, when looking specifically at 52" mowers, I chose the Lazer HP. (23/52)

However, if I had it to do over again, I would not.
    Not sure about now since the release of the new configuration and the Triton.

But be that as it may, I'm going to make an outside suggestion for a sub 48" mower.
    I think you should check out the Gravely PM 144 Z.
    In my opinion, they have eXmark and Hustler beat in the 'mini' class.

6. Mr Ricochet

Envy, what is it you don't like about your Exmark?....... I was looking at Gravely a couple of years ago but, chose Exmark. Do you have any experience with Gravely or, heard anything about their new decks?

7. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

I agree with laser ............. If you have been happy with the Exmark product and you say the dealer is great, why mess around with anything or anyone else?

As far as the Laser Z HP goes .......... I personally don't think Exmark had to make any major changes to this really fine cutting machine. I have had the Z HP with 48" deck and 21 Kawi for over 5 years and could not be happier with it's quality of cut and the quality of the machine itself. A year or two after I bought mine they changed the only thing that needed improvement and that was going to the larger gas tank filler openings. I certainly don't think they needed to go to the Triton deck.

Exmark usually does not offer products that have not gone through extensive testing and trials. So, I would be confident that the 19 Kawi is well matched to the 46" deck.

By the way .......... this is coming from someone who also has a Hustler Super Z, 60" deck with Kohler 28 EFI and I think it is a really fine product too.

8. Mr Ricochet

To be honest I was sick at the thought of leaving Exmark and my dealer. My biggest concern was if the 46 HP was underpowered with only 19 horsepower but, you guys who run that machine feel it has ample power......As you all know these things can be thought to death, making choices even more confusing. When broken down to its most simple terms, dealer and how that product has treated you in the past, the decision really is easy, if that is ever possible.......I can't tell you guys enough how much I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and expertise as, you've simplified things for me. Thank's again.