lazer hp won't run. Please help fast!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott's turf, Apr 8, 2004.

1. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Trying to get this fixed tonight or at least identify the problem

I have a 23 hp kawasaki and it is acting like it is not getting fuel. I have a spark and the engine is turing over. I got is started and it ran for about 30 sec and then petered out. Any ideas? I can't find my manual either. Is there a fuel pump? What is the unit after the fuel filter? I am going to try a couple more things but your help would be great.

Thanks
    -Scott

2. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Turn the gas valve on!

3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes there is a fuel pump.

4. scott's turf

from NH

yeah the gas is on ;)
    the fuel pump works too

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Do you have new fuel in it or is it last years fuel?

6. scott's turf

from NH

to be honest with you I do think the fuel is old but it ran all day yesterday and half of today fine. I am draining the tank now and putting fresh gas in it.

7. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

Check you brake switch or seat switch, make sure your filters are clean. I kinda had the same problem and found that my brake swith was bad. $8.70 part and my run like new again. Just make sure you check all the switches.

8. scott's turf

from NH

frosty, if the switches are bad with the engine still crank??

9. JPLAWNSERVICE

JPLAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

check that when you turn the key over that you here the antibackfire solenoid on the carb opening up. you should be able to hear an audible click when you turn the key to the run position. if it is not opening then the carb can not get any fuel. if it is opening then check to see if this carb has the standard float bowl held on with the brass screw through the bottom. if it does take it off and clean the small hole that goes through the bottom and down into the center of the screw. if this is clogged with old fuel it won't run.

10. JPLAWNSERVICE

JPLAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

also if any of those switches are bad the engine shouldn't run and it won't crank over either.