Lazer/Kohler EFI Problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawn_pro, Apr 7, 2006.

1. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

I have read other Efi horror stories on here before but I am having trouble with my Kohler EFI, been to the dealer 5 times-it will run good for a couple lawns and then losses power and sounds like crap. It seems to surge or barely run at all. I know other people on here have dealt with this before and I am wondering if anyone ever had their machine fixed or found a solution? Any suggestions would be appreciated, or should I just trade it in for a non-fuel injection model? It only has about 375 hours on it.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Did you hit a bump and it starts to run bad??? If so it could be a ground??

3. lakewood2

lakewood2 LawnSite Member

Up until a year or two the grounds on these EFI's were suspect. The ground went to starter bolt using a eyelet and neither were great conductors. Kit 24-452-01-S includes better conductors but make CERTAIN the connection is done with solder not any type of mechinal butt joint (it will not work). If you really want to verify you got it right find a Kohler dealer with the laptop software and have them follow SB269. Try that unit running like it should before you decide if you want to trade it.

4. lawn_pro

Thanks, I will check into that...is the kit something I can buy and install or is it something that the dealer has to install-just got it back for the fourth time and they replaced the oil sensor harness? It's raining, haven't had a chance to try it out yet...I have a 48" hp also, never had a problem-1000 hours.

5. lawn_pro

Lakewood2, where do I look to see if the connector is soldered?

6. lakewood2

lakewood2 LawnSite Member

If you have an engine with an engine serial before 33223##### and it already has a silver starter bolt and a tin plated copper starter bolt eyelet then someone has likely already installed the kit. The kit comes with a solder joint but some dealers just use a standard crimp butt connection (that does not work). I would think they would have made the connection right down near the starter so if a new connector was installed you should be able to see the connection. If it is the crimp type replace it. If you have either a black starter bolt or the stainless steel eyelet then yours has not been upgraded yet (or it was built later). The stainless and tin plated may look similar but I would expect that you should be able to scrape through the tin plate and see copper and I would expect the tin plated copper terminal to be more flexiable than the stainless would be. And Yes you can buy the kit yourself but if your unit is less than 2 years old I would have a dealer do it under warranty. I would look for one that has the EFI software program and make sure (you know what I am going to say) they solder it (reference them to Service Bulletin 268 and 269). Regarding a possible trade read thread titled Lazer Z 28HP EFI.

7. lawn_pro

Allright, I ordered the kit-it was 1.87 + shipping just in case....I got the machine back and it seems to be o.k. for now but I haven't used it yet....will find out monday, I have a bad feeling but well see. Thanks for the advice I will let you know what I find out and if the kit works.

8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Do you know what the ECU code is?