lazer m drive belt breaking

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by awm, Sep 27, 2002.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

cut ,or broke another belt today.
    tightened everything and while she got some hrs on her . i dont see what can
    be getting these belts.when it broke ,the blade belt also came loose . i felt a little play in the blade tension pulley ,but really very little. its like theres a certain situation coming up once in a while that is causing this ,but i cant figure what it is.
    also it does look a little like its been cut by a pully or something.
    is there any chance exmark has changed belt suppliers. now that would explain it.
    also exmark needs to know ,if u guys are experiencing more broken belts.thanks for your attention.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

AWM,

Well, we haven’t switched suppliers and I haven't heard anything regarding excessive failures. A couple of things that might help.

When did the belt break, was it on engagement, or had the blades been running for a while? Were you in a transition area such as from short or sparse grass to thick or tall grass? Was the belt cut at a diagonal or was it a vertical cut? Is there any fraying to the break area? What were the mowing conditions such as how tall, thick, lush, any types of debris other than grass (pinecones, sticks etc) you were mowing?

Let me know what your seeing and it may help us to better narrow the possible causes.

Thanks

Terry

3. Quality Lawn Care

Quality Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I have broke two drive belts on my hp in less 100 hours. This is a difficult belt to replace and if I brake another I'm going to bring it back to the dealer. The belts where completely shrudded, and both broke under normal mowing conditions. What's up Exmark?

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

hey terry . the conditions were not good,wet but not too thick. this mower has mulched 6 inchesof leaves ,before and the original belt didnt break ,i just thought it had served its time. may still have it somewhere. like i said, just dont know why the difference this yr versus last.
    this yr im on my third ,and got to wonder why.any ideas appreciated. tm

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

im mowing ,hardcutting rite now but
    this has never happened before.
    its bad to lose confidence in a piece of equipment. all i know is the pulleys are all free moving and the belt i put on last week has a stress place in it, right now,
    where the cording has broken.not sayin it the belts fault but somethings changed an i cant see any difference in the mower.
    if i find something ill post about it. mabe ill get lucky an this one will last like the original equipment. im hoping.got to have a dependable machine. an have had up to now .

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

to finish what i started ,hopefully.
    i was feeling all the pulleys this morning and found a little burr ,like mabe a rock had ht the edge o the pulley at some time. this hopefully is the problem. this was the pulley opposite the tension pulley.mule drive.
    id sure rather it be this than the belts themselves. later now.

7. eXmark

Awm,

Thanks for the info. There a couple of things I'd check.

First at around 150 hours or so the mule drive belt will need adjustment. If it is out of adjustment too long the belt can slip which can add heat and can cause the belt to become weak.

If the mule drive is too far out of adjustment the belt can be thrown which from lack of proper tension. Something as simple as engaging the blades can throw a belt if it is not tensioned properly. Going from a low load to a high load such as from no grass to tall grass abruptly will throw the belt if it's not tensioned properly as well.

Look at the idler pulleys and make sure none of them are bent or damaged. Generally if the mule drive has been out of adjustment too long you'll see damage to the spring loaded mule drive idler pulley from making contact with the underside of the frame.

Next look at the idler pivots on mule drive and the deck. All shock loads are divided between these two pivots and if one is bad it can cause either belt to be thrown. The next time you’re in the dealer give the belts on a new Lazer a tug to be certain that the spring tension is similar to yours. It's possible for an idler spring to get weak over time.

To properly inspect the idler pivots your should remove the belt tension and the swing the arm back and forth by hand. If you feel any drag in the pivot, unbolt it, clean and polish it with emery cloth and re-assemble. One re-assembled, swing the arm again to verify it is still pivoting freely.

Try to avoid the hidden sticks, trash etc. in the lawn that can get into a belt and cause it to be thrown.

There are a few other things that can cause the mule drive belt to be thrown but 99% of the time it will be the deck idler, mule drive idler, mule drive adjustment or debris getting thrown into the belt.

Thanks

Terry

PS, your other note posted while I was typing this response. Was the belt frayed at both ends, or did it have a clean break either viertical or at an angle?

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

thanks for the answers and advice.
    also . also the pt about the idler and tension being rite. my mechanic showed me the two hole that are guides as to where the tension pulley should be.
    u set it with the idler pulley adjustment.
    all in all i learned something. thanks again

9. eXmark

Awm,

Great! The two reasons we are here on lawnsite participating and sponsoring are to educate and be educated. Hopefully we can keep educating (along with your dealer) and keep listening and learning as well.

Thanks

Terry