1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lazer Maintenance

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by KTNC, Jul 9, 2002.

1. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

3 questions on cleaning and service:

1. I'm a big fan of blowing my Lazer off with air after mowing... It's quick and easy and does a good job. Just wondering, is there any place on the Lazer where I shouldn't blow air? Such as under the seat around the hydros, or around the motor...?

2. Just coming up on the first 25 hrs, and first lube, is there any certain grease Exmark recommends?

3. I have the older air filter (2001 model), is it all right to remove it and blow it out with air, and how frequently should this be done? (Mowing about 6 acres weekly)

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have a few comments about some of your questions. I'm sure Terry or Dustin will beat me to this, but here goes!

1) I think blowing off the mower is about the best method there is for prolonging its life. I use my backpack blower and it really cleans the big debris off quite well. No real need for me to use my blow gun. I think it would be safe to say that just about anywhere is safe with a blow gun. Id watch around your gas tank vents, and the hydro tank cap. These would be the only places that I can think of you having any problems.

2) Exmark simply recommends a SAE #2 Multi-purpose gun grease. I currently use AMSOIL GHD-CR. Its a Moly fortified, Heavy Duty, Synthetic, Lithium Complex Grease. It has a 70lb Timken rating for heavy duty applications. It is really sticky stuff, and hard to get off your hands and clothes. I was using Pennzoil Red Wheel bearing grease, but that didn't do to well in bushings. Good for high speed bearings, but just oozed out of bushings. Now that Exmark went with maintenance free bearings, there is no need for me to use a "Wheel Bearing Grease".

3) I'd really watch with blowing out air filters. Sometimes its better to just leave them alone, and just replace them. I have the Donaldson on mine and only replaced it once in 600 or so hours. Yours may clog quicker though. How quick is determined by your cutting conditions. Anytime you open up the filter area, you subject yourself to introducing debris into the engine. If you do it (and many people do), be very carefull, and dont blow holes in the filter!

Good Luck
  3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Bravo TLS! I could not have said it better myself.

The majority of the lubrication points on your Lazer are bushings and pivot points. In these types of applications the grease is used to force out any contamination such as water or dirt and act as a barrier to prevent more contamination from getting into the bushing. All you really need to do is make sure you have something that isn't drying out prematurely or running out on a hot day.

The foam pre-cleaner should be washed out with soap and water every 8-10 hours or as needed. They let it dry, saturate it with oil and squeeze out the excess and place it back on the paper filter. The paper filter should be visually inspected each time you service the pre-cleaner and should be "tapped out" every 50 hours or so. This maintenance is pretty strict in comparison to what the engine manufacturers promote but the air filtration is the key to long engine life. Blowing out the filter is the way I was taught to clean an air filter and as it turns out that is about the worst thing you can do for one. Just gently tap it out on your workbench and you should be in good shape.

Please let me know if we can be of any further assistance.

4. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to many grease fittings on there. A few on the deck lift, I think four on the lift and two on the back deck supports underneath. There is one fitting that is hidden that needs greased. Under the seat there is a hole. If you look in there you will see a fitting for the idler tension pulley. It hides real good!!!
  5. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

TLS & Terry

Thanks for your advice, that's what I love about this site...
  6. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

What oil do you recomend for the 23 kaw? I can't find my owners manual at this time. Is 10W-30 ok to use? How much oil?
  7. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hey scott's turf:

In the Kawasaki Owner's Manual for the FH680V, which is your engine, they state the Engine Oil Capacity as follows:

1.5 L (1.6 US-qt)
    [when oil filter is not removed]

1.7 L (1.8 US-qt)
    [when oil filter is removed]

From 32 F to 95 F, Kaw. recommends using an SAE30 weight oil with an API Service Classification of SF, SG, SH, or SJ. You could use a SAE 10W-30 or 10W-40 from about -4 F to 95 F, but Kaw offers you a note. They say that "using multi grade oils (5W-20, 10W-30, and 10W-40) will increase oil consumption. Check oil level more frequently when using them." If you have any other questions, just create another post or e-mail me at dustin.schwab@exmark.com.

Hope this helps,

Exmark Customer Support