1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Lazer Mulching Option

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EDL, Feb 20, 2000.

1. EDL

EDL LawnSite Member
    from MA

I was curious, if anyone with Lazers uses it's mulching capabilities. What ore the pros and cons. What is the price for the mulching option. Just want some opions before i try it. Thanks

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

The kit is 180.00. We use gator blades instead of the kit blades.<p>We do not mulch in the summer, but for fall leaves, it's almost majic.

3. valhalla

valhalla LawnSite Member

I use the Exmark micro mulch system the whole<br>season with standard Exmark blades. I don't <br>have any problem with clumping and the fall<br>leaves literally turn to good fertilizer under the deck...<p>----------<br>Valhalla lawn and pool<br>

4. crew

crew LawnSite Member

I concur with other responses. Thought i was really getting away with something this past fall when lots of leaves virtually disappeared using mulch kit(i got mine for $110) and blades that came with kit. Hoping i wont pay the price this spring for leaving all that leaf dust on lawns.

5. Check out page 1 of the Feb. Issue of grounds<br>maintenance mag.<p>Rutgers did some leaf incorporation in farmland (row crops) and found the following:<p>The leaves caused a temporary N deficiency in<br>plants grown in leaf-amended soil.<p>To compensate they recommend adding supplement N.<p>I have not bagged a leaf in over 5 years.<br>Even though I did not know this research until a few days ago I have been fertilizing<br>with 32-5-7 at half rate (1/2 N/1k sq ft)<br>at my last service of the year right after mulching all the leaves to help in the natural break down of the leaves.<p>As far as finding bits of leaves in the lawns in the spring I have not found this a problem. I run a jrco tine rake ahead of a<br>walk behind with highlift blades and I don't<br>bag anything. What little thatch etc. that<br>appears either blows away or is incorperated into the soil with the heavy spring rains.

6. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

lawrence,<br>could you tell me a little about the tine rake in front of the walk behind, does it work good i have never thought of that before what exactly does it do, thank you<p>cjcland

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

cjcland, JRco makes this tine rake, also called a Dethatcher, for walk behinds and ZTR mowers. I have one for my ZTR. It can be used for numerous things, even soil prep. for seeding new lawns. I use it mostly for dethatching and to loosen up the leaves in the spring that get wedged down in the turf.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

8. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

thanks eric, i could probly build one for my snapper with no problem, i learn something new everyday, sometimes the hard way and other times right here, thanx again