1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lazer Mulching Option

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EDL, Feb 20, 2000.

1. EDL

EDL LawnSite Member
    from MA

I was curious, if anyone with Lazers uses it's mulching capabilities. What ore the pros and cons. What is the price for the mulching option. Just want some opions before i try it. Thanks
  2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

The kit is 180.00. We use gator blades instead of the kit blades.<p>We do not mulch in the summer, but for fall leaves, it's almost majic.
  3. valhalla

valhalla LawnSite Member

I use the Exmark micro mulch system the whole<br>season with standard Exmark blades. I don't <br>have any problem with clumping and the fall<br>leaves literally turn to good fertilizer under the deck...<p>----------<br>Valhalla lawn and pool<br>
  4. crew

crew LawnSite Member

I concur with other responses. Thought i was really getting away with something this past fall when lots of leaves virtually disappeared using mulch kit(i got mine for $110) and blades that came with kit. Hoping i wont pay the price this spring for leaving all that leaf dust on lawns.
  5. Check out page 1 of the Feb. Issue of grounds<br>maintenance mag.<p>Rutgers did some leaf incorporation in farmland (row crops) and found the following:<p>The leaves caused a temporary N deficiency in<br>plants grown in leaf-amended soil.<p>To compensate they recommend adding supplement N.<p>I have not bagged a leaf in over 5 years.<br>Even though I did not know this research until a few days ago I have been fertilizing<br>with 32-5-7 at half rate (1/2 N/1k sq ft)<br>at my last service of the year right after mulching all the leaves to help in the natural break down of the leaves.<p>As far as finding bits of leaves in the lawns in the spring I have not found this a problem. I run a jrco tine rake ahead of a<br>walk behind with highlift blades and I don't<br>bag anything. What little thatch etc. that<br>appears either blows away or is incorperated into the soil with the heavy spring rains.
  6. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

lawrence,<br>could you tell me a little about the tine rake in front of the walk behind, does it work good i have never thought of that before what exactly does it do, thank you<p>cjcland
  7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

cjcland, JRco makes this tine rake, also called a Dethatcher, for walk behinds and ZTR mowers. I have one for my ZTR. It can be used for numerous things, even soil prep. for seeding new lawns. I use it mostly for dethatching and to loosen up the leaves in the spring that get wedged down in the turf.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
  8. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

thanks eric, i could probly build one for my snapper with no problem, i learn something new everyday, sometimes the hard way and other times right here, thanx again