lazer not charging. Need wire color?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gnccer150, Dec 1, 2006.

1. gnccer150

gnccer150 LawnSite Member

Have a 2000 injected lazer w/26hp kohler and it is not charging. Printed off the schematic from kohlers web site and they don't seem to list wire colors. I see the main harness coming from engine going to computer, but don't know what to test. thanks in advance.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

The charging system is completely seperat from the EFI system. There should be 2 stator wires coming out from under the flywheel. Probably white. They go to the Regulator Rectifier...and a 3rd wire comes out of there. Probably purple.

Check the stator for AC voltage with the engine running at 3600. Should be 28+ volts AC. If not, then you have a bad stator. Also turn the machine off and check the resistance across the stator wires and from each stator wire to Ground. If it is shorted to ground it is bad. If the resistance of the coil is very high then it is bad..I forget the exact spec.

If it tests good then its probably the regulator rectifier unless you have some bad wiring somewhere or a blown fuse. Call your local kohler dealer and see if they have the Regulator Rectifier tester. There is really no other good way to check it that I know of. If that checks good then I would look at the wiring on the machine...fuses and such. Whatever hooks that purple wire to the battery...so you may need the wiring diagram of the machine to trace that out.

Only reason I know alot of these wires is I just went through building a test stand to test run their 31HP Liquid Cooled EFI engines...LOL.

4. gnccer150

Okay. I don't have a way to check rpm, but on the ac voltage I am getting 30+ volts at two thirds throttle. The ac voltage will climb with throttle. Now, is there any way to check the regulator w/o a kohler tester? I do have 12v going to regulator off of the starter, but don't know what to check @ regulator? I would like to get this thing going before I put her up for the winter. One last thing, I checked continuity to ground and that is fine, but when I checked impedence across the stator I had a real low reading and then it went away. Thanks in advance.

5. Restrorob

If you have the 30+ ac volts across the two white stator leads and 12 volts dc to the violet wire on the center spade of the voltage regulator I would say the regulator is your problem. I know of no bench test of the regulator without the Kohler tester.

6. gnccer150

I thought the wires were black? Maybe just dirty... But definetly had 30+ ac voltage before the throttle was fully opened. I will check with local dealer which is going to get me nowhere. Maybe I will just replace regulator and see what happens. With the mower running my voltage at the battery is @ 11.5 or so, shouldn't the voltage be well above that if the mower is charging properly?

Any site sponsors carry the parts?

7. Restrorob

8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Kohler EFI,,,, one wrong move and you could fry a $400 plus computer. I have seen it done more that once. One some new Kohler engines you can reset the regulator. With the engine off, remove the battery cable and let it set for a minute. Then reconnect the battery cable and start the engine and then check the voltage. Kohler Parts Bulletin 236 if someone has a copythey can post. You really need the schematic of the mower itself. Have you checked all the fuses?

9. gnccer150

Checked all visable fuse links. Everything seems to be in good shape as far as wiring, connections are clean. The mower sat for about 4 weeks, then I started it up and while mowing it just died. Checked battery and voltage was really low. Plugged in battery tender and mower runs great once battery is charged. Battery is holding charge but will slowly lose voltage while mower is running. So, something is not charging the battery. I will disconnect power tonight and recheck voltage, if that is not it I will be ordering a regulator.

10. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Just so I am clear on what you checked, you had no continuity to ground from either of the stator wires right? And you had a very small resistance from one wire to the other right? Then you should be good.

I had a Kohler that the stator was putting out 30+ volts even though a nut had gotten in there and welded itself from the stator to ground.

I would assume its the regulator at that point...like everyone else. The only test I know of is the Kohler Tester. They actually have instructions for testing other peoples Regulator/Rectifiers with it. The company that makes it can update it a little for use with Honda/Kawasaki ones as well.

I honestly forget if Kohler has some other method for testing them. Ever since we got that thing I havent needed any other way :)