Lazer or Inkjet Printer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LoneStarLawn, Nov 6, 2000.

1. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you use to print invoices? Seems to me that I change the cartridge of an inkjet printer often, let alone that the cartrifges are expensive. I was looking towards getting a lazer printer (since we only print in black) to save money in the long run..what do ya'll think?

2. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I use a laser printer for all my printings. Specifically a brother HL-1240. Great speed, something like 7 ppm. It ran me about $300.00 and the print quality is GREAT! It has a USB connection. I've had great luck with it. Here's the link to the brother web site for more info: http://www.brother.com/usa/printer/info/hl1240/hl1240_ove.html

3. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I use an inkjet. Recently I found that outpost.com has off-brand ink cartriges for 1/3 the price of the manufacturers--like $10 for 1 or $50 for a 6 pack. They are new and guaranteed to be of the same quality. Everything ordered from outpost is tax free and free overnight shipping.

To reduce the amount of ink you use, have you tried printing at a lesser quality or higher speed ? this will usually lay less ink. Paper selection in the print window (use your normal paper, but select glossy in the printing window) and it should use less as well.

4. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We got the Lexmark Z31 and is real efficient on cartriges plus Aplus printing quility.

5. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a Hewlett Packard LaserJet 6L. Haven't had to replace any cartridges in 2 years. Great print quality.

6. I have a HP laser 4L that I bought used for $200 three years ago and I am going to replace my first toner cartridge this week.

I also have a Epson stylus 800 for a back up that was a
    $40 purchase.

7. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Laser is the only way to go.. You don't have to worry about smearing and all that

Mike
    Greenkeepers

8. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

buy a used laser. they are very fast and cheaper in the long run. they also don't smear, important if you print envelopes. I got my brother from re-pc (search on the net)I can't remember if it is repc.com or what. anyhow it prints 17 ppm at 1200 dpi so I can do flyers etc. and it only cost 300 bucks. You can probably find used computer stores in your local yellow pages. Just make sure you see sample printouts from the machine before you buy.

9. dhicks

dhicks Member

Get a laser type printer with no less than 2 megabytes of ram or preferably 4 megabytes. The extra memory will speed up printing company logos and other graphics.

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I use an Officejet 600 on grayscale econofast setting and the black cartridge will last maybe 6 months. I also have a HP laserjet 6L thats been sitting around for the past 2 years if I can figure how to hook up two printers and find some drivers for it maybe Ill hook it up.

Help, anyone?