1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lazer or Toro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tillman Lawn & Landscape, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Tillman Lawn & Landscape

Tillman Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Member

I need to buy another ztr this week. I already Have Lasers and a Turf Tiger. My local dealer is selling Toros at 6800 for 62" with 23 kohler and Lasers with 60" with 23 Kohler For 6750 so price is not a factor. I am happy with the Lasers but I am curious about the difference in cut in wet or tall grass between the two. The dealers name is Lawn and Liesure Herndon Va (703) 471 6699.
    Thanks alot for your input !!
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I've been looking at both but don't own either. My opinion is that the Lazer has better features starting with the welded deck as compared to the stamped Toro deck. Yes Toro owns Exmark but they do not mix many features. If I had to buy one of those 2 today it would be the Exmark.
  3. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

EXMARK, EXMARK, EXMARK!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

By the way, if I was you I would go for the 25 HP Kohler, get all the horsepower you can get. It should only cost a few bucks more and you will be much happier in taller or thicker grass.
  5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Do yourself a favor and do not buy the toro. I have A toro with 300 hours. The toro cut pretty smooth but its "chopping" ability is beyond pitiful! I have to triple cut most lawns in the spring with it to get the clippings to disapear. I just orderd a new DC today......goodbye toro!:D
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't want the stamped deck or the greasable spindles.
  7. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

i got a toro 72" efi 26hp kohler.
    clumps are a big problem, it is not me, it is the mower?
    i'm gonna need a new lazer within a year or so. fiqure i better start doing my hwk now.
  8. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Our Toro 62" Z-Master leaves clumps in the wet spring but we also demoed a Exmark and did the same! I do not like the idea on our Toro that it has a lack of grease fittings like on front caster wheels! But the chassie on the Exmark is almost identicle to the Toro but my opinion the Exmark has a better deck for dispersing the clippings more evenly!
  9. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Ive had my Toro 62" SFS for 2yrs now and i simply love the mower,i have never had any problems with clumping i even mow in the rain. I demoed the Lazer, scag TT, great dane,and Ferris and picked the Toro due to its cutting ability with the morning dew here in southern In, its usually wet till after one oclock, if it was dry all the time i would have got the exmark,its cut was also very good. There both great mowers IMPO. Marks Mowing Service
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The fewer grease zerks on sealed bearings, the better! Who wants to grease every day? The front casters are sealed, when/if they go, I'll just buy a complete wheel/tire assembly and start all over!

The less the better!

Now on NON-Bearing joints, the more fittings the better! Bushings are quite different than a bearing.