Lazer or Turf Ranger - which would you choose?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DaveinVa, Mar 21, 2001.

1. DaveinVa

DaveinVa LawnSite Member

Esteemed Forum: You guys are the pro's and your opinion is once again sought - so here goes..........if you were starting over - which of these two would you buy? - A Lazer or a Turf Ranger - and what size deck? and why?.....as always - thanks for your time and input.
    Dave

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

For real steep side hills,or lots of curbs,Id buy the ranger,but for anything else Id buy the Lazer.

3. RyanCanMow

RyanCanMow LawnSite Member

I would go with the Lazer. They are more compact and take up less trailer space. The Lazer also leaves two tracks (where the wheels are) and the Ranger leaves three. I feel like the Lazer allows you to be quicker and more agile. But, the Ranger allows for a better trimming capability under trees and such. The Lazer also can hold more fuel. All in all, I would go with the lazer. Good Luck!!

4. muxx

muxx LawnSite Member

I would choose the Lazer by far. I have had both. The ONLY advantage to the turf ranger is that you can get under trees better. The lazer will hang on hills, manuever, and mow alot faster. I have had the lazer places the turf ranger couldn't even climb. Size depends on what size yards you mow. I have 60" and 2 72".

5. gitzenlandscape

gitzenlandscape LawnSite Member

I took both out for a demo and let me tell you, I have taken my turf ranger everywhere, there isn't anything that it could not do. If you start to spin a tire(lose traction) you shimmy yourself in the seat and shift your weight to that side and your off, and I only weigh 150 pounds. During my demo on the lazer, the mower slid sideways down a steep hill about 50 feet that the turf ranger mowed the week before in the exact same conditions. If you want to know fear slide sideways on a mower for 50 feet and not be able to do anything about it. I closed my business last year and am in the process of selling my mowers but if I could start all over again I would DEFINATELY get the turf ranger in the beginning instead of fooling around with the walk behinds I had. Additionally the others have said that less trimming required, plus the ability to raise the deck to drive over large obstacles. For my money the turf ranger is twice what the lazer is. But I do have to admit, the lazer is alot easier to change cutting heights, but since I cut everyone at the same height, I set it and cut.

6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

go with the lazer, i would try to get a 23 or 25 hp engine and 60" deck, you won't go wrong with this combo.

7. Shack

Shack LawnSite Member

Lazer all the way.

8. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

What size deck did the Lazer you demoed have? Just curious......

9. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I had the exact experiences with the ranger. It consantly slipped on hills. There is not enough weight on the wheels to pull it up those hills. GET THE LAZER! no doubt in my mind what so ever. The ONLY advantage to the ranger was tipping the deck up to clean it. I was VERY happy the day i sold minel.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If I had to make the choice to but one, it would have to be the Lazer. I currently run both styles, and the trimming capability is nice, but the quickness of turning around and getting out of tight spots along with the overall speed of the Lazer outweigh this.