1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lazer prices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DaveinVa, Mar 28, 2001.

1. DaveinVa

DaveinVa LawnSite Member

If you guys were looking to buy a new Lazer - I'm curious if you would (1) - Stick with the dealer you currently use - and not even check the price of one at another dealer (2) - Check prices with at least 3 dealers - and if the dealer that you have used in the past (assuming you stick with him because of good service) - would not be willing to match the lowest price you have gotten (assuming his wasn't the lowest) - then would you switch dealers automatically - or would you consider paying a higher price (and how much more would you pay) - and stick with the guy who is giving you good service? Gosh - a gazillion questions all rolled into one............just curious what your thoughts are..........and here's why.........seems the Ex-Mark dealers within a 50 mile radius are acting like the price of their Lazers are a trade secret and are very reluctant to just flat out quote a price..........I'm not sure I understand their hesitancy - but I'm trying to understand.
    I'm looking for the best price on a Lazer - and also looking at their history in customer satisfaction when it comes to prompt, efficient service. I'd be willing to pay as much as $300 more for a unit if I was assured that the service would be there when I need it. Am I in line - or am I totally nuts to pay more for the same machine I could buy elsewhere for less? OK - enough questions already.......
  2. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

For my self I look for the dealer who can give me service immediatly. I am not a big operation meaning I do not have 3 or 4 big machines. I only have one ridder and 2 walk behinds. If my big mower goes down I need service quick so I can get back out and work. I will not name specific dealers in my area but one that deals the exmark line was very well known for having a 2 week back log. They decided to take on Home Depot warrenty work for all these home owners and they were based on a first come first serve. This means that they would be happy to sell you a 8 grand machine but when it broke Billy Bob with the 21 inch murry would get his fixed first even though he didn't buy it from them. I do not have time for that. I looked at other mowers and their operations. The dealer I happened to buy my Excel Short cut from will work on my mower while it is still on the trailer the second I pull up. He told me this when I made my purchase. He also told me that commercial customers would come before the residential..even if they have 10 residential customers in front of me. So far I have had to go in 3 times for some minor warrenty work and 2 of the 3 times they did it on my trailer. The third time it had to come off but they fixed the problem as I waited. What I m driving at here is if you have to spend $300 more to get service like what I am talking of, then it would be well worth it. Plus look at the positive side...that is just 300 more you write off rather than pay in. It has to go somewhere.
  3. DaveinVa

DaveinVa LawnSite Member

I agree - the problem I have is the fact that our local dealer does the warranty work for Wal-Mart - and as I have looked at their service department - it would appear they sure are understaffed to commit to on the spot service for me - I dont' care to lay out big bucks if service isn't going to follow through when needed.
  4. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I buy all my equipment from the same dealer and he takes care of me. He will give me price breaks sometimes and I get a discount on parts because I have an account with him. He's also great on service, if there are a whole list of residential customers wiating he'll fix me up and then worry about them. I like using the same shop for all my equipment because It builds a good relationship and I know he'll take care of me. Even if i pay more.