Lazer PTO Clutch....Replaced with pics.

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by TLS, Apr 27, 2005.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Mowing last night and went to idle my LC Lazer down so I could blow off the grass and dirt for the evening.

Get all done and notice a strange noise from the rear of the engine. Sounded like a leaf was stuck in a hydro pulley or something. I investigate further and notice the noise is coming from the electric PTO clutch. A real dry sound. I narrowed it down to bearing noise, as it went away when engaged.

So, last night I look in my J-Thomas catalog, and try to cross reference it. No luck. Seeing as though I have the 27hp LC Kawi, it takes an oddball clutch. So this morning I call them thinking I could nurse it through the weekend most likely H had also heard their prices on clutches were pretty good. They were very helpfull on the phone, however, they didn't have one in stock, and would need 7-10 days to order and ship it to me. I thought THAT was stretching my luck a bit too far. I then called my eXmark dealer. Not only did he have the correct one in stock, but it was only $5 more than J-Thomas wanted ($179) plus I wouldn't have to pay shipping!

From what my dealer said, it having 1493 hrs, it was about due anyway.

R&R was rather easy. I used an impact gun to loosen the crank bolt though, as with a ratchet and socket, I was simply turning the engine over.

Here it is as you'd see it on the mower.

Warner Electric MAG-STOP 200 lb/ft clutch

Clutch0002.jpg

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Here is the back (pulley) side.

Clutch0003.jpg

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Opened up.....Clutch disc and pressure plate?

They didn't look too worn really.

Clutch0004.jpg

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Taken fully apart. No tools needed to disassemble.

Clutch0005.jpg

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

This is the electro-magnet I guess. Notice the two cracks at 12 and 6 o'clock in the plastic. You can see copper wire through the one crack.

Clutch0006.jpg

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

This is the pulley and it's bearing. I stuck my index and middle fingers through the bearing and spun the pulley. You could hear it wasn't any good anymore.

Clutch0007.jpg

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

And here is why!

Almost a powdery graphite material inside. No grease whatsoever!!! ;)

Once I took the seals off, the bearing really spun loud, and seemed somewhat loose.

Clutch0008.jpg

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The other bearing was just as dry.

I guess you could call these 1450 hr bearings! :rolleyes:

Clutch0009.jpg

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Pictures Forum?

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I guess this didn't intrest anyone. Usually a post with a paperclip (picture) gets responses.

Bottom line....Keep your ear out for clutch bearing noise.