Lazer question

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by accuratelawn, Jun 3, 2001.

1. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Lazer with about 1300 hours on it. What would cause jerking movements in the drive system when during initial forward movement?
    The hydo fluid and filter has been changed every 500 hours +-.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure, but it sounds like air in the system. Any other ideas?
  3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Thanks for taking the time to write in.
    When you say it's 'jerky' during initial start, it makes me think that maybe the dampner(s) are out. They are like a shock absorber that keeps the handles from being moved too quickly back and forth which causes a 'bucking' or 'jerky' ride.
    If you mean the unit studders while driving, I'd look at the pump drive belt, pump drive idler arm, and idler sheave. The drive belt you would just check to make sure it's not cracked or worn. For the drive idler arm, I would remove the belt from the pump sheave, then remove the spring from the idler arm. Now rotate the idler arm to ensure that it's not 'hanging up'. We actually recommend that you grease all the idler arms like this at least occasionally. What can happen is the bushing in the idler is under load on the one side, and grease is not able to get in there to properly lubricate it. While you have the belt off, spin the idler sheave to make sure it spins freely.
    Hope this helps. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email us at

4. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine did something similar to that. I had to get a stronger tension spring put on the hydro belt. Never had a problem since, maybe thats it.
  5. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

It was the dampners. Thanks for the tip. $35 each ouch!!
  6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Glad Lenny was able to help you.....Can't have you on a jerky Lazer!!!!!