lazer taching out

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by the scaper, Jul 11, 2003.

1. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 52" lazer w 25 hp kholer engine. when i crank it at full throttle it over reves and then comes back down to normal rpm's. also when engine is running at full throttle and i turn on the pto it does the same thing real bad (tachs out) then comes back to normal. i've sprayed the govenor and linkage areas w/lubricant as my dealer suggested but its not solving the prob. associates have said its because of wet weather but i dont think so cause its still doing it on dry days. any ideas or suggestions? thank you, ~the scaper~

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

The Scaper,

Thanks for the post. More than likely you'll need to take the machine and have it inspected. I would look closely at the governor for physical damage. Something bent broken or missing. I would also have the dealer look for wear at the governor stop. I talked to the guys in the lab and they indicated that if the governor stop is worn and the governor is then adjusted the wear can through off the adjustment.

Is the engine "surging" at all?

Thanks

Terry

3. the scaper

thanks for the reply terry, i'll pass that info along to my dealers mechanic. when you asked if the engine is surging i'm assuming you're talking about a power surge where everything powered increases momentarily (kind of like an electrical surge in your house). yes, that is exactly what its doing, thats what I'M refering to as "over reeving" but it only happens when i crank it with the throttle in full position or when its already running at full throttle and i engage the pto (power surge). but it always idles back down to normal operating range after a few seconds. in fact when looking at the linkage as this is happening i can see the govenor linkage below the throttle linkage "snapping" back into normal operating position as the rpm's drop back to normal. does this sound more like possible adjustment, or parts replacement to you? thank you. ~the scaper~

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

the scaper:

Reading through your post, it sounds to me like an adjustment issue. It's possible that your RPM's are adjusted a little too high. The RPM's should be set at 3600 (+/- 50 RPM) on your 25-hp Kohler. Double check that number in your Exmark Operator's Manual. This is just an educated guess, but I'm sure your dealer will be able to handle this. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Here to help,

Dustin

5. the scaper

thank you dustin , i will present all of these sugestions to the dealer mechanic. - scaper