1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lazer this, Dixie that, what about Grasshoppers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by plow kid, Mar 20, 2001.

1. plow kid

plow kid Banned

A buddy of mine in the biz just bought a grasshopper ztr mower , it looks like a diecent mower but how does it compare to say a lazer ztr or a dixie chopper, inj the quality of cut department and striping exc. the grasshopper seems to be a little under powered in my opinion, 16 hp engine and a 48" deck, I guess the true test will be when he goes to cut the lawns in the spring that have grown 8" in a week
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

My Exmark dealer handles grasshopper too,they are tough machines,the ZTR's are no different.Thye have a following here,mostg uys who buy one,buy another ,and so on.
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

plow kid,

I'm by no means bashing the Grasshopper design, but here are my thoughts on that type of lawnmower. Anything rear of the drive tires is going to swing in an arc while turning. In open areas, this is usually not a problem. However when you are in tight quarters, that 3+ feet of mower behind the drive tires, gets in the way and will hit houses, beds, trees, mailboxes, etc. when turning. They generally have less traction climbing UP a hill compared to a midmount. They do however offer a smoother ride and have more stability on hillsides. They are well built machines that will last a long time.

4. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

What about a JOHN DEERE out front z mower, tried one the other day and loved it. Sure cuts down on the trimming

Just my 2 cents
  5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Tom,grasshopper makes a ZTR ,just like your Exmark,nothing hanging 3 ft off the back-they were out this past summer-I was checking them out while my trac-vac was being put in june.
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

My bad! Thought he was talking about the Classic Hoppers. Never used or seen the new style outside of a magazine ad. Think they offered a diesel on these too, right? From what I saw and read about them, they were a good machine. I don't think there is much "junk" out there these days, as long as you stay with the "major" manufacturers products. There is way too much competition out there for junk machines to be around for too long.

Sorry for the misunderstanding/

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

My only problem is local .The dealer touted a 21000
    bl tip spd.Then when I let him know I knew something of the subject he didnt want to talk about it anymore.
    Not a good impression.mower looked alright though.
  8. plow kid

plow kid Banned

9. swn

swn LawnSite Member

I have 2 grasshoppers and love them. It also helps that I have a great dealer about 10 minutes away. I can't wait to try out the new midmounts that they have came out with this year.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have a friend of mine who ran two of the old style before, sold one, bought a Ferris ZTR, loves that, and then bought a Grasshopper ZTR last year and he can't say enough good things about it. I wish these nimrods would take my advice and get with the Lawnsite program, then they could tell you themselves.