Lazer UltraCut 60 poor mulching performance

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by TAZ, Sep 18, 2006.

1. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Recently I bought a 2005 Laser XS with a 60” Ultra Cut deck serial # 543477-XXXXXX. I had the dealer install the kit along with a striping kit. I am getting allot of clippings laying on the lawn. It’s not clumps but deposits of clippings about mid deck and again on the left side. I am in northern Ohio and am cutting rye/bluegrasses (and crab, nutsedge and what ever else is growing this time of year). Cut heights range from 2 ½ to 3 ½ . Grass is relatively dry. My walkbehind is mulching fine so I am wondering if this is a tuning issue.

What I am looking for is any info in regards to rake/pitch of the deck, Striping roller position (I am almost thinking that is might be too low) and any other documents relating to QOC tuning. This might all supposed to be the same as the manual lists for the standard discharge bagging set up.

I also can't locate the installation instructions for the kit as the dealer installed it. If you have a PDF the covers that I would appreciate that so I can remove it for the remainder of this year or until I have more time to mess with it.

Thanks,
    -TAZ

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hello TAZ,

The attachment will help in removing the mulch kit.

Depending on the size of your deck, you've got to have the appropriate rake. Rake is measured off of the blades; positive rake is when the front blade tip is lower than the rear blade tip. The following are good starting positive rakes.

72: 1/4"+
    60: 1/4"
    52" 3/16"
    48" 1/8"
    44" 1/8"-

You'll also want to run the standard blades (Notched-High lift), for typically the best results.

As you start to adjust your mower please call into our Service Dept. so they can help you through the QOC troubleshooting process.
    402-223-6375.

Brian

Attached Files:

3. TAZ

from Ohio

Brian,

Thanks, I will yank the Kit this week and see where that leaves me. The overall cut wasn't bad at all IF I double cut everything. I was just getting clippings all over the place. The second pass would get rid of them but I don't have time to mess with that on every cut. The rains have started up here now anyway so mulching season is probably over. I will mess with it come late spring.

I will contact you're Service Dept after I pull the kit if I am still having issues.

Thanks,
    Todd

4. TAZ

from Ohio

Brian,

After pulling the kit I am seeing a huge difference in the QOC. Now I am getting the table top smooth cut, no stringers and no laying down of the grass cut that the Ultracut deck is known for. With the kit installed I was getting missed blades of crab/quack grass, laying down in spots where the grass is thinner, and the cut was no where near as level and manicured unless I double cut it.

I realize that the XS with the high ground speeds may not be the ideal canidate for mulching but with the 31hp I feel it has potential. I am going to try the kit again in late spring to see if I can get it to perform better.

My question is am I expecting too much out of the mulch kit? I have had great results on walkbehinds with smaller decks (slower speeds probably and less grass volume being processesed) but this is my first time trying to get the mulching to work on a ZTR.

Thanks for your input.

-Todd

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Todd,
    You might be expecting too much. If you are cutting off more than a third of the grass blade and traveling at a high speed the QOC will not be as good.

When you do use the mulch kit again, please contact our Service Dept. They can help you make sure the mower is set up correctly for the best QOC.

Brian