1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lazer w/Diesel engine owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mastercare, Feb 11, 2005.

1. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

I've used Lazer ZTR's in the past, and am looking to add one in the upcoming year or two. I've demoed the New Diesel version, and raced it against an older Lazer. I don't have to tell you how much faster the diesel is.

My question: Has anyone had extra problems with this mower becuase of the weight? Obviously its an extra 2-300lbs and that should have some kind of effect on leaving ruts in wet lawns. I'm just not sure how much of an effect it will really have. I love the speed, but don't want to see tire ruts on every lawn. Anybody have experience with these? Is the weight an issue? Is it worth the extra $$ and the extra speed?

Any help or experiences are greatly appreciated.
  2. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I got to demo a lazer with the vanguard diesel at an exmark field day about 2 years ago. We were mowing in a large public park by the lake. The 3 L/C vanguards ride much better than the lighter air cooled lazers. The 31hp 3 cyl gas with 72"deck was unstopable. I could make the 27hp diesel with 72" deck pull down just a little when mowing thick 6" grass @ top speed. Couldn't afford either one at the time. Have since bought a 72" sabre tooth tiger with the 31hp vanguard diesel for large commercials.
  3. terracare

terracare LawnSite Senior Member

That really isn't an issue that we've encountered with ours. It likes to eat up belts, and I'm afraid for the clutch even when we engage the blades at the lowest idle. It's a good mower with a great cut. Here's the pic of the lazer

4. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

So, if you had to make a choice back then, which one would you have picked, the gas, or the diesel? You fellas know the performance on equipment better since you all use it, (real world, everyday performance more than us dealers know from a few minutes of running when they are new) is there a smaller margin now days when talking about the fuel economy of a diesel over the newer more efficient gas engines?
  5. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

The dealer and I had discussed this when I bought the vanguard turbo diesel. He says the 29hp kaw and the diesel have the same gph rating. At full load this may be true, but I feel that in overall average the diesel will be more efficient, last a few thousand hours longer,burn untaxed farm fuel, plus I wanted a diesel ztr to go with my JD 4700 tractor. I had looked at the ferris with the Cat diesel. Hustler has one now and John Deere will have the 997 with 31 hp yanmar diesel out soon. Grasshopper and kubota have had diesel ztr's for sometime. Main thing is, diesels are for the long haul. If you are going to trade every two or three years, you won't realize the benefits.
    PS. How many gas engines do you see in skid steers, new tractors, trucks larger than 1 ton, earth moving equipment, or anything that has to work long and hard.
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

A diesel would be the engine for me if I was mowing 5+ days a week for 8 hours a day. That is the hands down choice, I wish I could mow like that. The tourque is tremendous and it eats anything in its site. I demoed a 72 diesel a few years back and knew that this is a serious machine but it wouldn't be all that great for my smaller properties.
  7. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

We too are considering a diesel 72" unit for large commercial and industerial contracts. But none have convinced me that the mower itself will live as long as the diesel engine. My exmark dealer has a used 72" diesel for $6,500 just one year old. I need to hear someone voice their opinion who has had one for the long haul before I'm totally sold myself.
  8. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Is the tax on regular diesel not refundable for offroad equipment use?
  9. ltlm

ltlm LawnSite Member

we have two one is a 2001 with 60in and bagger the other is 2003- 72 in with bagger . we got them as demo with only 150 hrs on them we still got the three year warranty for 10500.each .we have 2- 300 gal fuel tanks that we fill up that coast us $1.58 a gallon last year. ill never go back to gas. plus exmark has a policy that if your unit goes down the dealler gives you a loaner at no coast exmark rules. the 72 in picks up so good in spring and fall to better than kubota grasshopper or scag. i know since i have owned them all. we just sold our last grasshooper 60in flip deck with big bagger hopper and 60 in brand new bi dir front broom for 9500. so were off to buy 3 unit 72 demo for 10000. this one has 80hrs on it.
  10. ltlm

ltlm LawnSite Member

go to www.exmark.com then go to preowned epuipment you can find dealers there too.