lazer wheel motor leak

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by chesterlawn, Nov 16, 2007.

1. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a lazer with 3600 hrs and noticed oil leaking down from behind the wheel hub. There has been nothing unusual in the way it's been running. Any ideas?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Most likely the hub shaft seal, Jack the back up and try moving the wheel up and down. It's possible the bearing has worn and caused the seal to start leaking.

3. chesterlawn

Thanks, can the bearing and the seal be replaced, and if so I guess the other side should be replaced to. Is this an expensive job if thats what it is?

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It would be best to check with your dealer, I'm not sure if Exmark offers parts for their wheel motors.

5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

exmark wheel motors can be rebulit their toro parts, less than 200 in parts and about 4 hrs labor. so I just buy new

6. chesterlawn

Update , the wheel motor had to be replaced.

7. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

How much $$$$ ????

8. bigmower1

bigmower1 LawnSite Member

You dont have to always replace the wheel motor, especially if it is working normally. Lift the mower up and wiggle the wheel and see if there is any play and if there is then buy a new seal and bearing. Its a pain in the butt to change sometimes but is way cheaper than buying a new wheel motor. When you put the new seal in, try to push it in so it doesnt hit the same spot on the original shaft either slightly in more or out and that should do it. If you dont want to do it then maybe a shop can, it wont cost a lot.

9. chesterlawn

It cost me $725.00. I took it to the dealer just to see what the problem was, and they replaced the wheel motor without telling me till it was done. I could of put it on myself and saved $200.

10. bigmower1

bigmower1 LawnSite Member

You didnt need a need wheel motor. Thats the problems with these shops these days. All they can do is change parts but not repair them. You should get the wheel motor back from the shop and buy a new bearing and seal and fix it yourself. The parts are probably less that fifty dollars.