Lazer with 25hp Kohler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBoy89, Nov 2, 2005.

1. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I might buy one, it's absolutely mint condition the guy has it from when he bought out his boss's company. I know him very well and its in absolutely great shape almost everthing is replaced on it I'm just trying to figure out how the 25hp Kohler engines are and what year they were running them in the eXmark Lazer's 60''. Any information? Thanks...

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I thinks it's been atleast 3 or 4 years since they discontiued the 22 and 25hp kohlers. Those were good motors, they'll run for 2000hrs without any motor work. I have a 22hp on a 95' lazer w/1500+ hrs, and it still runs as good as my new 23hp. You can't go wrong with that machone "if" the price is right. Alot of guys like to rag on the kohlers, but in my opinion they are better than the "Jap" motors anyday.

3. gumper48

gumper48 LawnSite Member

LB-
    i just sold my original lazer z "60 with the kohler 25.
    had just a little over 2000 hrs on her, still running fine, just an oil leak around the engine case gaskets.
    i replaced her with the xs "60 31 hp briggs.
    200 hrs on it with no problems so far.

gump

4. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I have one of those mowers. Bought it new in June of 2002. I have had no major problems with this unit. Replaced battery, front tires, front wheel bearings and seals (didn't really need the bearings and seals). I am a maintenance nut though. Take good care of the machine (if you buy) and it will give you good service.

5. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I had two Lazers with 25 Kohlers. They had 1600-2000 one them when sold. They ran strong.

6. LawnBoy89

Yea this guy gets them completely serviced atleast once a year and it is getting servuced right now and then hes prolly going to let me have it for 3g's just because I'm a good friend of his.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

You may get a "good" 25HP Kohler and I hope you do. My expeerience is different and I would not take a 25 Kohler for free.

Now before everyone jumps my junk I will tell you that I own and love 2 Kohler 26EFI's and a 15HP Kohler. Excellent for me. Some have had 25's that were great however I had too many problems to even get into here.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

8. LawnBoy89

It has new pistons and the head gasket went on the motor a couple times everything is replaced and new. Hopefully it will stay running strong for me. Most guys around my area beat on their equipment so much that it is in my best interest to buy this mower since I know how well it was taken care of.