Lazer X S

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by r.eckley, Aug 9, 2004.

1. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

Had a hub problem with my XS. Called my dealer Bobcat of Springfield They were at my house to fix in a HOUR fifteen miles away. Part ordered recieved & installed Noon next day.Thats what
    i call excellent service.Very well satisified with machine & especially service.

Thanks
    Dick

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Dick,

Sorry for the inconvenience but I'm glad to hear the dealer took care of you soo quickly. All mowers no matter what color or size are only as good as the service you get after the sale. Often that means they are only as good as the dealer that takes care of them.

Thanks,

Terry

3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Whats up with the info on the XS lazer? My dealer has none your web site has no specs on it aside from this mans post and a invite to a power demo this tuesday I would not even know its name. Not sure who gave you the advice to keep things quite but as some one in the market for 3 more ZTRs next year I would like to know ahead of time what my options are. And that means update your site and give us a taste of whats to come every now an then.

4. eXmark

Kelly,

The reason your not hearing much about the XS right now is for the same reason your dealer doesn't have one and may not get one for some time.

We had reason to believe that the XS would be very popular and sell at a much higher rate than we could produce when we first introduced it. Turns out this was a very accurate accessment. From what I've been told most of the XS models are sold before the dealer ever even recieves them.

There are a combination of several design properties that make this unit perform so well. We'll be releasing more information on the XS just a soon as the 05 production begins and when we are certain our vendors as well as out production staff are rolling at full speed.

It doesn’t look like we’ll see an excess of XS’s out there anytime soon at the rate they are selling.

Terry

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Just for the record,
    I had the opportunity to eyeball one about a week ago............

Real nice package terry,real nice.
    I can understand the popularity.

6. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

Kelly
    If you get a chance to run a XS do it! Believe me its one awsome machine. Only have 20 hrs. but really like it. Havent really checked fuel usage closely yet but dosn't seem to use much more than my 27h Kohler. If they would put on E.F.I. it would be
    almost unbeatable. Sure like the horsepower.

Dick

7. Kelly's Landscaping

I am looking forward to test-driving my first XS this Tuesday. I have a question on fuel consumption in 2 dealers shops I go in they sell scag and scag has some chart to push the kawi 29 dfi engine. On it it has like 8-10 motors and gives gallons per hour on different engine sizes. Well it states the 27 Kohler at 2.2 gallons per hour at full load. Where did they come up with this number and how do they get away with this lie.

I started tracking my 2003 Lazer with the 27 Kohler and it holds 5-5.5 gallons a side so yesterday when I switched sides I noted the hours. Today I had 5.8 hours on the motor and still had not gone dry although I am close. My math tells me that’s not 2.2 gallons per hour infact its less then one and no I do not let her idle unused those hours were all hard mowing at top speed.

8. eXmark

Kelley,

Fuel consumption numbers are almost alwasy misleading when your talking about lawnmowers. It's not like a car where some third party will say that you'll get 25 mph while traveling at 55 mph. On a lawnmower the load changes too frequently from yard to yard or on the same yard and even from day to day.

I can't speek for what's advertised on someone elses literature in in a dealership............most of the time I hafta ask what our means...............but I can give you a few observations.

First 100% load doesn't mean anything. ALL engines become gas guzzling monsters at 100% load. It takes fuel to build power and if you reach 100% load you'll need fuel. Also it's impossible to maintain 100% load in the real world. If 20 hp is 100% load on an enigne and you reach 20.5 hp of useage that means the engine can't hold the load anylonger and engine rpm will begin to drop. If your at 19 hp of useage then theres probably still some room to add more fuel and build more power as needed.

A good example of what 100% load will do is to compare a 4 cylinder pickup to the same pickup with a 6 or 8 cylinder. You would expect the 4 cylinder to get the best gas mileage at say 50 mph on flat ground with a tail wind. Now take the same 3 picups and hook them to a trailer going up hill into a head wind while carrying my lunch (I like to eat...............a lot). The 6 or 8 will most likely get quite a bit better fuel economy because they are not maxed out.

Also keep in mind that fuel injection in itself doesn't automatically give better fuel economy or even performance as far as that goes. Where fuel injection becomes efficient and you get performance gains is when they engine monitors exhaust gases and can then instantly adjust the air fuel mixture according to temp, load and rpm. The Kohler EFI has this feature while the last Kawi 29 I saw did not.

I wonder why they chose to compare the 29 DFI to the 27 when the 28 EFI is a much better comparison. I also went to the Kawi site and found no reference to an increase in fuel economy of the 29 over the 27 Kawi.

There's nothing wrong with your math it's just the nature of engines. At 100% load they use a bunch of fuel. At less than 100% load they use quite a bit less.

Thanks

Terry

9. Kelly's Landscaping

I got to drive the XS today I think I am in love she is so fast off the line its not funny. Next spring I will be adding one of these babys in a 72 inch deck.

Something I was not able to see was the frame changes over the Lazer Z to my untrained eye they looked about the same. But the ride was so smooth and I do want one of those seats bad.