Lazer XS owners and operators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dvmcmrhp52, Jun 10, 2005.

1. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

We've been having a good bit of trouble with scalping on the trim side of the deck on a Lazer XS 60".

If I remember correctly there was some talk about having moved the deck over on this design to get a bit more trim out of it........Is this correct or am I just getting too old to recall thoughts?

Of those who own or operate an XS are you having any scalping issues on the trim side or not?

The original thought was more tire pressure to keep the tires from "giving" on turns due to the added weight of the XS................Didn't help, but we are going to increase it yet again just to be sure........

The deck level seems to be O.K. because it cuts very well with no uneveness that you would expect from a deck that would be out of level enough for scalping.

Bottom line.............If others are dealing with the same issue on their XS I'd like to know if there is a pattern to it....

It may be something simple but so far no answer..........

2. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Back to the top..........
    Slow friday..............

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

While I don't have an XS (yet), I can see where this could happen. Though the benefit of the offset would outweigh this minor scalp issue.

What are your gauge wheels set at? For our area, you should be in the bottom hole for a 3.5" cut height.

No more than a fingers width under the gauge wheels while on a hard surface (make sure blades are off!!!) :) Gauge wheels are cheap. When they wear down, throw em out.

On a side note, is the XP (Diesel) 60" decks offset as well?

4. GNRL

GNRL LawnSite Member
    from Wi

so far so good! :D

5. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

The scalping issue is serious enough for complaints.

As far as setting antiscalp wheels, etc..............Yup, we'll get around it I have no doubt, but I'd rather not have to jury rig something to get it to work properly if it is indeed too much off set on the trim side of the deck.
    Getting it to stop scalping is relatively easy, getting to the real cause may be more difficult.

As far as your question on the XP.........I'm not sure, but it was my understanding, there for a while, that this was a design change for the XS.

6. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

So, no scalping issue at all on the trim side of the deck?

7. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Back upstairs...............

8. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

I have the XS with a 72" deck. As far as off set goes I can't see any difference between it and 2001 Lazer with the 72" deck. I do remember reading or hearing that there would be more offset with the XS. As far as scalping, I have no problem with it.

9. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Thanks, It's good to hear on the 72" deck as well since it will be the next.........

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The 72's always had a big trim side offset.

The 60's are almost neutral, with the XS having more.

What cut height are you using dvmcmrhp52?