Lazer Z 23 HP Kolher oil?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Jackman, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

Terry, I have been changeing the oil and filter since new at 25 hour intervals, refilling with 2 quarts of Mobil 10-40. The engine now has 1280 hours and seems to be getting louder. I hear lifters or valve ticks ,overall engine performance is fine just the ticks make me think the engine is getting loose. Do you think I should use a differant type of oil for an engine with high hours?

Thanks Jack

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Jack,

It really could be any number of things. With the Mobil 1 there really shouldn't be much wear..........especially if you’re changing it every 25 hours. You could have a lifter issue however it could be something as simple as an exhaust leak.

Ya, I know it sounds a little off but my ears don't always work as well as they once did. The 12.5 Kawi my dad has sounds terrible. To me is sounds like it's getting ready to drop a valve or something. It's nothing more than a small exhaust leak. The Kohler twins are notorious for burning out exhaust manifold gaskets and mufflers too can see their fair share of wear as well.

I guess before I took the mower into the dealer for inspecti0n I'd look at the exhaust manifold gasket as well as the header pipe at the manifold flange and muffler.

Thanks,

Terry

3. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

Terry I have been using 10-40 WT not Mobil 1, my concern is the motor is has 1280 hours and maybe a differant WT oil as in thicker would be recomended now... What does Exmark recomend for oil WT and change intervals? I had read the underside of the air filter cover and felt that Kohler recomended filter and oil change intervals where a bit over extended, thats why I do the 25 hour oil and filter...

4. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Jack, Your supposed to use 10w-30 in a Kohler Command. Kohler 10W-30 oil is good stuff and has a real good anti-foam additive. Some oils foam too much and the air in the foam will cause lifter noise.

5. eXmark

Jackman,

Officially we recommend what ever Kohler recommends. Personally I like the 10W30 changed every 50 hours with a filter change at each oil change. With the canister air filter I wouldn't have a problem stretching the service interval to 100 hours for the oil and filter.

Thanks

Terry

6. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

EJK, thanks Ill check in to the Kohler oil maybe the dealer will have it... I dont know how I got on 10-40 I thought that I was going by the book guess I made a mistake no harm done I hope.

Terry, I was just wondering if you had an oppenion on oil for a high hour motor which is what I consider mine. I think Kohlers recomendations on service intervals are a little long, I hope to get 1200 more hours out of my motor with out an overhaul thats why I do the 25 hour oil and filter....

Thanks Jack

7. eXmark

Jack,

If you want my opinion stick with the Mobil 1. NEVER switch a high hour engine over to synthetic if it's spent it's life on a solid diet of petroleum oil. If it's been running on Mobil 1 since new it's not nearly as "high hour" on the inside as the hours would indicate. The Mobil 1 is really good stuff. It's the only thing we use in our endurance testing for the mowers/belts/bearing etc. I can't give Mobil 1 and endorsement but I can tell you if we want to perform a long term test on a mower or componant with out replacing a bunch of engines we'll run the Mobil 1.

Thanks

Terry