lazer z 52" is 20hp enough

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by duramaxlt, Mar 9, 2003.

1. duramaxlt

duramaxlt LawnSite Member
    from georgia

i'm i homeowner/landlord i cut 3yards a week over 1 acre each i've been using a craftsman 19.5 hp 42" mower i'm looking to cut my cutting time in half and make it more enjoyable i'm looking at ztr's the best deal i've found is a lazer z 20hp 52" it's brand new less than an hr showing and he's offering it cheaper than the 52" lazer hp he says the horizontal shaft engine on the regular z is a better engine than the vertical shaft engine on the hp but i went to kohler's web site and all the spec's are the same.i ask him if this is enough engine for this size mower and he said he sold this same mower to some of his best commercial clients and hasn't had any complaints he says one of them even runs the ultravac.some of the guys on another lawn forum said this mower would cut to slow and that i would find myself having to recut sometimes.i can afford this mower but no way can i afford to move up to the 27hp kohler. by the way why is there so much difference in the motor options on the z 20hp vs. 27hp is this dealer just trying to get rid of a hard to sell item. or is this a good deal.$6600

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Duramaxlt,

Horsepower is one of those things where we generally have an adequate amount but can never get enough. How much horsepower is enough? I suspect that if we put a blown, fuel injected nitro methane burning hemi on a Lazer we could sell it and the guy or gal who bought it would have a permanent grin on his or her face.

As far as vertical vs. horizontal that really comes down to preferences. There was a time when in my opinion the horizontal engines did run longer with fewer issues. That time appears to have passed. It all comes down to the operator and maintenance. You'll get in return what you put into an engine for the most part. If you have good maintenance practices, use good oil, good filters etc. you'll probably have a great engine. If you don't have good maintenance practices, use low quality oil and filters some one is going to sell you a new engine.

Either machine will power the vac system just fine.

Thanks

Terry

3. lahanko

lahanko LawnSite Member
    from NY

I am a homeowner also. Bought a 52 inch, 20hp, Toro 150 last year, great mower.
    Dealer sold 50 plus of them last year. I would assume people like them, never see a used one for sale.
    I think my Toro Z is probably as good as an Exmark but the support from Exmark is far superior.
    The point, good mower and great support, how can you go wrong? In my case it does not matter how slow or fast the mower is, it cut my mowing time down considerably plus itÂ’s fun and my girls love it.
    BTW, I mow about 2.5 acres of lawn and about 3 acres of horse pasture. I should have bought my mower years ago.