1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lazer z 60''

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Viseras lawn service, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Viseras lawn service

Viseras lawn service LawnSite Member
    from 6

hey guys..for the past few days my lazer has not felt right when going down a grade or turning to the right (pulling back on right stick)

when i go down a grade the mower drifts to the left and if i pull the right stick back to counter act it, it is very sluggish and un responsive.

today i noticed a small hydraulic leak on the hose going to the right wheel pump...this is probably part of the problem, but it was happening even before the leak....

any idea on what could be causing it to be so un responsive?
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Two simple things to look at:

Hydro pump bypass valve....make sure both are seated tight.

Hydro pump belt idler....Make sure it moves freely. They are prone to seizing up and allowing belt to slip.
  3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

TLS I have had the idler in for warranty repair. Still doesn't keep as much tension on it as I would like. Even after I had it in for service it still is not as tight as I woud like. I have greesed it good. Any additional information on how to fix this. I will probably have to tell the mechanic how to do it knowing my luck. Probably should post on the Exmark forum.
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What year Lazer is this on Tacoma?

The newer ones went to a bearing setup instead of bushings.

The bushings would wear because it's the hardest fitting to grease on the Lazer. Grease dries up, and it siezes up. That or it wears out and starts to eat the belt because the idler pulley is crooked from the arm wearing.

I don't think they changed the spring tension much over the years, but I could be wrong.
  5. tacoma200

It's an 05 model right when they went to the new 15/16 blade holes. When it was damp last year it would not have enough tension to move if the belt got damp. I greesed it and still not enough tension. Backed off the bolt (that holds the idler arm) and put some locktite on the nut until I could get it to a dealer and it did fine after I backed the bolt off. Starting to bind again. Greesed it good and that seem to help some but I would like to figure it out before the warranty runs out next year. I don't trust the mechanic to know what's going on since he didn't fix it the first time.
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not familiar enough with the new style idlers. I do hear of guys with the old style (bolt and bushings) switching over to the new style though. Maybe you have the bolt tightened TOO much? Preloading the bearings?
  7. tacoma200

I'll talk to Exmark and maybe take it to a larger service center this winter. Lots of shade tree mechanics withing 50 miles. It did work when I loosened bolt but I have no way of knowing how much the mechanic tightened it back. Exmark did tell me lock tite is a must on the nut.