lazer z 66" 30hp recalls

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by lazyike, Feb 12, 2007.

1. lazyike

lazyike LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a lazer z ^^" with the 30 hp motor last year and have been plaged by poor motor performance. This thing will kill on side hills and when I engage the deck even at full power. Exmark replace the intake neck but made no differance. I guess there is another recall for this motor.

My question is does anyone else with this mowere have this problem and did the second recall help?

Thanks Mike's Lawncare

2. WBB

WBB LawnSite Member

Lazyike,
    I have this mower and have had similar problems. My understanding is that the new fix is to replace the carb. with one that has a smaller barrel which in turn reduce the hp to 28... but fix the engine loading problems. My plan is to trade mine for the 07 with the 31 Briggs.

3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

SMART!!! You'll love the big block

4. EMTDUCK1984

EMTDUCK1984 LawnSite Member

Kohler Has A Recall Its Not The Carb Its The Intake Block They Changed The Vent Channel So That Gas Would Not Cover It Up And Cause Rough Running

5. lazyike

Thay have allready changed the intake block on mine (it did nothing)
    unfortanitly im not in a position to trade allready as Ill lose my shrit on the trade in.

Lets just say that this is my first experiance with exmark and if they do not get the problem fixed on this one I will move on with a Hustler brand.

6. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

this is not an exmark problem. The problem is on ALL Kohler 30 hp applications.

Kohler has changed the intake pipe, and now the carb. Reports from the field is they still run like crap, and even worse in cold weather. Kohler says the problem is fixed. The guys in the field say that's bull.

There's not alot Exmark can do because the engine is not made by exmark

If you have a triton deck, make sure you call your dealer about the upgrades. If you are having poor performance, this well help, but not solve Kohler's problems.

7. lazyike

Sounds like pass the buck... the American way. Exmark is responsible because they put Kohler's motor on their mower and sold the package to the consumer, they should have field tested their product before they started selling it. If exmark gave a S%$t about thier customers and their reputation they will offer a motor upgrade to the 31hp motor. Hell I would even be willing share the cost. Now I have a $10,000 machine that is not running right. But I guess thats Kohler's problem.

8. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, it is Kohler's problem. Did you read your warranty? Engine warranty is covered by engine manufacturer. Exmark doesn't build, or manufactur parts or engines for Kohler. This is nothing new.

Exmark did test these engine, as every manufacture does. They HAVE to so they can be certified to sell the machine.

Do you not think the Exmark is unaware of this problem, or any manufacturer that is running these motors.

They are all fighting with Kohler about this meanwhile, all their customers are pissed.

Exmark dropped not only the 30, but all Kohler models from the Lazer line this year.

Have you talked to Kohler? They were sending out new intake parts. It fixed some but not all. They they were sending out proto type carbs, fixed some, not all.

My personal opinion is that it's a cam timing problem.

I don't blame you for being mad. Exmark put the engine on the machine which mean it should perform top notch. It is not. But, it's Kohler who builds the thing and they need to step up to the plate.

It's sad that you put a 27 and a 30 powered machine next to each other and the 27 runs circles around it.

I would get in touch with Exmark AND Kohler direct about this if you aren't getting anywhere with your dealer. I'm sure there's got to be a way to remedy it.

Like I said, get in touch. See if there's something that can be worked out. I can't tell you for sure but best case scenario exmark would agree to send out a new motor and send that one back to get credit from Kohler. That's a long shot because there's alot involved. Not sure if all the pulleys, belts, throttle cables, mufflers will fit the vanguard block. You have to talk to them. If your dealer can't get it done, you have to move to the next level.

Good luck.

9. EMTDUCK1984

EMTDUCK1984 LawnSite Member

It May Be A Problem With Your Dealer B/c I Have Several 30 Hp Mowers Out And The Intake Made Their Problems Disappear Ask Your Dealer To Check The Rpm's Ive Been Around Exmark Since They Started Almost And They Rarely Have Problems But If You Cant Get It Takin Care Of Let Me Know And Ill See What I Can Do

10. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

Some of these 30 horse Kohler engines were effected, and some were not. Check with your dealer, he should be able to take care of you.

Tallimeca and EMTDUCK1984 are right, don't blame the mower manufacturer.