Lazer Z and bagger

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by DAV Mowers, Dec 28, 2006.

1. DAV Mowers

DAV Mowers LawnSite Member

I've been looking for a bagger system that allows me to bag up leaves and grass then haul them off. Right now I have a Hustler but their system is only a dumper which will not work on my customers lawns.

I've been looking at a Lanzer Z AS, 60' Ultra Cut, 25 Kohler, at my local dealers and it has the UltraVac Collection system.

Now I have several questions, is that enough power to mow and run the bagger system, how well does it work on the leaves and how is the cut.

I had looked at the Lazer Z with a bigger motor but they only come with a Triton deck and I've read about the problems with that. Wonder if they ever fixed it?

If it makes any difference I live in far western Ky south of the Ohio River across from Illinois.

I have to find some kind of bagging system this year. Thanks!

2. iowa

iowa LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW IA

I don't think Kohler makes a 25. If you go with a 27 Kohler you should be fine.

3. kevin0311

kevin0311 LawnSite Member

i have a 27/60 with the 3 bag bagger setup and love it, depending on what exactly your bagging or how thick the leaves are you will have to slow up a bit from regular mowing speeds (without bagger). would definately recomend it.

a buddy has a 23/52 ultracut setup with the 2bag bagger and even though 23hp still seems to work the same except 2bags fill up real quick.

4. iowa

from NW IA

It's too bad the 2 bag option and QDS are the only option for the Lazer HP's. I got the 2 bag for my new one because the two bags hold more than the QDS, the way it said it on the website.

5. DAV Mowers

DAV Mowers LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info so far.

I misspelled Lazer with an "n" in it, sorry.

The one I was looking at had the 3 bagger system. I'm thinking this set up is the one that will work for me. Hope it does a good job on the leaves.

Something else. Which is the better looking cut. Ultra-Cut or Triton?

6. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I have the 60" ultra cut and I'm happy with it. Does a pretty good job on the leaves too. You just have to slow down a little when leaves get heavy. I just bought a triton today. I've asked dealers and owners of the triton decks if they like it and nobody has said anything bad. So I'll have to find out first hand if the ultra cut is better or if all the bashing is just BS. Good luck in you search and purchase

7. iowa

from NW IA

I bought a new Triton the other day as well. I have confidence that exmark has fixed the problems that the deck was first having. Besides, it seemed like it was only happening in certain areas.

8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I had an exmark (sold 2 months ago) with the ulta cut and QDS bagging system. It would suck up anything I could run over and was awsome on pine straw. Now I miss her again :(

9. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 2005 lazer 60" with a 27 kohler and the 3 bag ultravac on it. I think the only difference in the 25 and the 27hp is that they raised the compression on the 25 to get 2 more hp out of it. Quality is dead on about it sucking up anything that you run over. If you have any areas thar are sparce with grass- mainly dirt- you might get a little blow-out from the front of the mower and have to chase a few leaves around but it's not that big of a deal. There is a plate that you can buy and bolt on to the front of the mower to reduce the blow-out but it hasn't bothered me that much yet. One tip to reduce the amount of leaves in the bags is to cut the leaves up first without bagging or if you have another mower you can put a mulch kit on that one and cut them and then bag them up. This works best if the leaves are real think and the lazer is pushing big piles of leaves or if the chute and impeller are clogging up.

If you can do the leaves every week, a mulch kit will work fine up until that one week when it seems 75% of the leaves fall off in one day. If ya got any questionssend me a pm and I will tell you more about it and more tricks.

10. ribbie78

ribbie78 LawnSite Member

Do you guys use specific blades during leaf cleanup? What are your thoughts on gator hi lifts for mulching and discharging into little 3bushel bags on a 48" wb?

Dav- i also have a 60" ultra cut; hope your 3 bagger system's working great. Also, would a side bag on a 60" be very productive? or would it fill so fast that dumping becomes a pita...

I did like Tadams tip on mulching first (my 48" wb) and then sucking up the rest with the 60".

I'm looking into different exmark bagging/mulching combos and would like any opinions as well. thanks