Lazer Z and tie down

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mnb, Jan 13, 2006.

1. mnb

mnb LawnSite Member

For those of you how own a 60" Lazer Z how and where do you place you tie down straps to prevent it from moving?
    Thanks

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

If your parking break works why are you strapping it down. This is very unnnecessay unless your hauling it on a trailer without rails. I have 3 LAZERS and have yet to see a need for strpping one down.

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you will get a ticket for improperly secured load... they are very serious about this, i was stopped and checked 3 times last year

what if the brake fails, that think could really hurt someone, just not worth it...if it was pro lockers wouldnt be so popular

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Do certain states enforce it more than others? Here in Michigan I've seen maybe one time an open trailer that had equipment tied down. I've pasted many cops and I haven't been pulled over for it. Then the Pro Lockers ad in magazines say it's a federal law. What's the deal, can someone clear it up?

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i was TOLD that after 9-11 they are enforcing this law, partly as a way to check more cargo loads, dont know if its true or not??????or what it would have to do with LCO's state trooper told me that????

just not worth it to me, take 30 seconds to strap down and another 30 seconds to unstrap, maybe its just me, what if you have to stop short, and the thing comes crashing into the back of your truck.... maybe im wasting my time but thats the beauty of owning your own business, its done my way

7. lugnut#6

lugnut#6 LawnSite Senior Member

8. Dixie Rob

Dixie Rob LawnSite Member

My mower is not a Lazer Z, but does have a parking brake, and straps ARE required. You hit one good bump, and the front wheels start to spin around backwards, and before you know it, your mower is almost sidways.

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Tie down straps are very cheap and when used properly help secure your load.

you are a commercial vehicle and as such you should abide by the laws governing commercial vehicles.

Beside is it worth it to have the machine bouncing around and possibly doing damage to other equipment on the trailer or itself....

10. Hacksquat

Hacksquat LawnSite Member

Mine does the same thing if I don't strap it down. I usually park my mower to the front of the trailer. I had to two d rings welded to the trailer at the inside front. I have two ratchet straps that I hook into the d rings, and the holes to adjust the rops on my mower. Haven't had a problem.