Lazer z bogs when climbing hill

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by midwest, Mar 27, 2006.

1. midwest

midwest LawnSite Member
    from MIDWEST

New z from last year, 27 kohler. It will want to really idle down or slow down with power when climbing this large hill . Starts to do this at the steepest part of the hill. Gets a little scary but it will always make it up there. Want to get some answers on this matter. Old z(6 years old) didn't have a problem with this 25 kohler. Ask my exmark mechanic last year and he thought it was maybe the leveling switch, Can't remember what he exactly said but never had time to fix it last year. My dealers mechanic had just passed away. Best mechanic anywhere. Love goes out to you and family. Don't know where I will be without him. He will be missed greatly.Joe you are the best and always will be in my book Any help or suggestions will do

2. midwest

midwest LawnSite Member
    from MIDWEST

Anybody Out There?

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds normal for exmark.

4. midwest

midwest LawnSite Member
    from MIDWEST

Well That Was Informative. Thanks

5. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

I can't help but laugh. LOL

6. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Just kidding,we had a kohler done the same thing might be a low oil sensor topping hills it's like the machine would stop.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Could be a few things.

If it's not that safety rollover mercury switch, (easy to find out!) it's likely a float setting in the carb.

But, the symptom you gave (bogging) doesn't sound like what the safety switch will do. So, I'd lean towards the carb float set too high.

How steep is this hill?

Black smoke out the exhaust when this happens?

What are your RPM's set at?

And what do they drop to at the top of the hill?

8. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like it could be a governor problem too.

9. midwest

midwest LawnSite Member
    from MIDWEST

Doesn't smoke. Rpm are at correct. That was the switch my mechanic was talking about the mercury safety switch. Will be taking it in in a day. Hill is steep as steep gets . Use to walk it but challenged it one day and won.

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds too simple to be true, but you might try replacing your fuel filter. If partially clogged it would run fine under normal load, but suffer fuel starvation when straining and really sucking the fuel.

A mechanic who used to specialize in automotive carburator work that I talked to at another brand's dealership told me about this when mine had similar symptoms. I replaced the filter and zero problems since. Mine didn't "look" clogged in any way but apparently something had formed in it.