Lazer Z clutch removal

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by biscuit141, Jun 16, 2013.

1. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

The number search is doing exactly what it's suppose to do. Make it so you don't really know what you're getting. All clutches, although they will mount are not the same. Rotation and torque rating vary. Put a lower rated clutch on a larger deck, don't expect 1000 hrs out of it. You find one that's extremely low priced, rest assured you're getting a fake. Stickers are easy to make. Ask yourself this. Why is that clutch so cheap? The oem clutches are at least as good as the one you removed. You get a 1 yr warranty, with most likely, no questions. What more do you want?????? But that's up to you.

2. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Hmmm,I have to ask the dealer who replaced my clutch about a warranty.I didn't even think about that.

I know depends on various factors,but,what kind of hours are some of you guys getting out of clutches? I got 485 before a bearing seized. Just seems low to me.

3. biscuit141

biscuit141 LawnSite Member

What would you recommend? It seems all online retailers are selling Stens clutches. I have yet to find an OEM Exmark or Warner clutch. Even if I did, I would rather not spend $400+ if a $200-$250 clutch will do the same thing. I stopped at my local torrow dealer today at lunch and even they only order Stens brand clutches unless you specifically want to spend more for an OEM. They quoted me around $360 for the Stens clutch for my mower.

I also would like to learn how to tell if my clutch is bad. It worked great engaging and disengaging without issue before the bearing seized. If I can replace just the bearing and get a few hundred home hours out of it that would be a cost effective option. If that will cost half the price of a new clutch and the whole clutch will fail soon after, then it's not worth the hassle. This is for homeowner use, not commercial, however I do not want to keep messing around with it either.

4. ricky86

Any clutch will do the job. But for how long. Those aftermarket parts suppliers don't discount the part because they're nice guys. They are making their margin for sure. That's why they're in business. Cheap parts are cheap. Some dealers price gouge, no doubt. But OEM is at least as good as the old one. This question will rage till the end of time "OEM vs Aftermarket". Nobody can tell how long it will last. That's the problem. :laugh: Repairing old clutch is not wise. Brg's in Warner clutches are staked in.

5. biscuit141

But where do I find oem at a decent price? Is Stens a quality alternative?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. ricky86

It would most likely be OK for a homeowner application.

7. biscuit141

I don't want to cut corners or take a risk of it failing too soon.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Bashby

Bashby LawnSite Senior Member

I would not hesitate to get the Stens. You could replace the bearing in your old one and have it as a spare. I just put a Ebay clutch on my Scag TT (eXtreme clutch or something, $179 or so). It looks to be made well and worked in the one lawn I did today.

9. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Get your model # and serial # off the frame we can tell you the exact clutch you need.

10. biscuit141

Could you post the ebay seller you bought your clutch from? It sounds like the same brand name of clutch I posted to earlier on ebay.

Model # LZ25KC604
    Serial # 244688