Lazer Z Controls

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by J&JPROPERTY, May 10, 2002.

1. J&JPROPERTY

J&JPROPERTY LawnSite Member

I recently purchased a 2001 Lazer Z, 23Kaw, 60" . Its a new model with less than 1 hour when I picked it up. The problem is with the controls, going foreward with both controls pushed out, the mower tracks right,(actually almost does circles) how can I adjust them to get max speed without having an 1"-1 1/2" off set in the controls. As it is now I'm losing about 1 -2 mph while cutting.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

J&J,

On a new machine the problem could be nothing more than air in the hydro drive system and running it will "bleed" out the excess air and it will then drive fine. Do the hydros "whine" when you run it? This would be a strong indication of air in the hydro drive system.

If not take it to the dealer and we'll make it right. On a new machine you have to wonder what is causing it because there are so many different variables. There are some things that you can check for yourself and narrow down the possibilities however.

Before you get started look at the linkages to ensure nothing is "hanging up" and check your rear tire pressure. Make sure they are both in the 14-16 lb. range.

Once you've determined that the problem is not air you can then begin to determine if there is a problem with the hydro adjustments, tire pressure or if it's just the nature of the beast. Start the machine and let it warm up for 20-30 minutes. This is also a good time to practice making your turns, stops and trimming around obstacles. This will ensure that the hydros get up to temperature and level out as much as they are going to. Once the hydros are warm slowly push the drive levers forward at the same rate. The mower should drive straight as long as the drive levers are even with each other from 0 to 99% of full forward. Once you hit the stops the mower can pull one way or another and that would be considered "normal" and unless it pulls excessively to one side or another I would not worry about it. If it does pull excessively but only at full forward take it to your dealer and have him give me a call.

Now if the mower does not drive straight when the drive levers are lined up at say 1/4 speed or 1/2 speed or anything other than full forward we can now determine if it is a tire pressure problem or a hydro adjustment problem. If the machine pulls to the right when going forward and again to the right when going in reverse then chances are you have a low right tire. If one side is slow in forward and slow in reverse it is an indication that the tire is the problem. Your tire circumference should be with in 1/2" of the other side. If not add a few pounds of pressure to the smaller tire until they are of equal size.

If the machine pulls to one direction in forward and then to the other direction in reverse this is and indication that the problem could be in the hydro adjustment and you should take it to your dealer for service.

When in doubt have your dealer check it. Believe me we want to make sure your machine is operating properly as much or more than you do do.

Please let me know what you find. It allows us to determine what areas we need to improve and we can use it as a training tool for the guys and gals to work so hard putting your Exmark mower together.

Thanks

Terry

3. J&JPROPERTY

J&JPROPERTY LawnSite Member

Terry,

The tire pressure is good, the control levers do not line up, at 1/2 , 1/4 or so, the levers are still 1 1/2 - 2" off, I have to hold the right stick back to go straight. This causes the machine to not get full ground speed, probably closer to 75%. I'm thinking maybe just a linkage out of adjustment, it's going back to the dealer Tuesday afternoon.

Thanks Joe

Also, if their any place on the web to order a striping kit for it? The dealer wants $350.00

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Joe,

I apologize for the inconvenience. There is definitely something that needs attended to on your machine. Please e-mail me with our model and s/n information at terry.eckert@exmark.com along with who your servicing dealer is. I can't get you a roller but I'll make it worth your time.

Thanks

Terry