Lazer Z CT or Scag ZTR?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jeffack1, Aug 21, 2005.

1. jeffack1

jeffack1 LawnSite Member
    from SC

Hi all,

I have been considering purchasing a ZTR for some time. I will be using the mower to cut my own yard and that is it (approx. .75 acre). I have considered a new Huster Mini Fastrak and have recently seen two used machines for sale.

1. 2003 Scag 48" with 22 hp Kohler with bagger (300hrs)
    2. 2004 Exmark Lazer Z Ct 48" with 18 hp Kohler (100hrs)

These used machine have low hours. What would the going price be for these used mowers if they are in great shape? If they could be purchased for a price close to a MiniFastrak would I be better off going used or new?

Thanks for the help,

2. jeffack1

jeffack1 LawnSite Member
    from SC

Oh well, the SCAG went for 4,800 on auction.

Any thoughts on the Lazer Z CT compared to the Hustler MiniFastract in terms of cut and quality?
  3. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

i can't speak to the merits of the lazer Z. but i do have experience with the 17/42 mini fasttrak. i have owned mine for almost three months now and am completely i love with it. it has the feel of a commercial machine. it is one solidly built machine. yea, yea i know the hydro's are integrated, however they are rated for 800 hrs and hustler offers a commercial warranty as well as a three year residential waranty. i think this speaks to the build quality that hustler puts into this machine. and if you have spent much time on the hustler forum you already know how seriously they take their factory support.
    the cut is outstanding. the machine is very responsive and the 42" deck has 5 inches of clearance for trim work.
    take a hustler home and you won't be sorry!!!!!!!!!!
  4. zgman

zgman LawnSite Member
    from va

You're not comparing apples to apples. The exmark would need to be compared to the Fastrak (not mini fastrak) or to the Hustler Mini-Z. This is not a bash on the mini fastrak, it will cost significantly less if both units were new.

The mini fastrak will easily handle the size yard you will be mowing. How far are the dealers?
  5. SonnyRyder

SonnyRyder LawnSite Member

I bought an 04 Fastrak with the upgraded seat, 20HP Honda & 52" cut this Spring for $5,000 out the door. I have been very happy with it. The cut is great & it is all a homeowner would need. The salesman, who seemed honest & knowledgeable (but with an obvious bias) said he sold ExMarks for years & was much happier with the Hustler, especially the CT vs. the Fastrak drive train & build quality. I had heard most on here seemed to be happy with their CTs as well though. The warranty was much better on the Fastrak. I would recommend the Honda engine if you go with one. It is relatively quiet/smooth & seems very efficient. I mowed my 1 acre lot through May & June before needing to refill...& some weeks mowed twice due to fast growth. Good Luck!
  6. jeffack1

jeffack1 LawnSite Member
    from SC

I have two Hustler dealers within about 45 min. and an Exmark dealer within about 5 min.

There is also a Scag and Wright dealer within about 5 min.

I really don't mind buying a used mower that is in good condition; however, buying a used mower at the same price I could get a new Hustler for with a full warranty is tough to pass up.

I have only used an Exmark ZTR and I liked it; however, I don't have any other experience on any other mowers to compare it with.

Would I see the benefit of going with a more commerical (expensive mower) in any of the main lines?

7. SonnyRyder

SonnyRyder LawnSite Member

I don't have any experience with the full-on commercial mowers. I thought about getting one as well, but for the extra $1000-$1500 stuck with the Fastrak. After owning the Fastrak for a few months now, I wouldn't choose the full-on commercial model unless I was going to mow for money. The Fastrak has lots of trim & is more compact, sitting low to the ground, where the bigger mowers have you up on larger tires & frames. Depending on the type of terrain your mowing on, one of the commercial guys or gals may suggest something different. The Fastrak runs good sideways on slopes, but if you have a ditch to go through, it as an exteded rear end that protrudes to guard the engine and is low to the ground...and may be there for safety...but it can get stuck in the dirt. This may be an issue on all ZTRs though. After I got stuck the 1st time, I simply took a different angle and have been fine. My guess is that you'll be happy with a Fastrak or CT and can save the extra money for gas. ;-)