Lazer Z CT worth it or not?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by ALarsh, Jun 15, 2004.

1. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I was offered a deal by my dealer of $4,800 for a brand new '04 Lazer Z CT 48" deck, 18hp kohler engine. This is pretty much all I can afford and was wondering if it is worth it?

Is the cut the same as all of the other Lazer Z models?

Should I save up a little and go with the Lazer Z HP (48" deck, 21hp kaw)?

Is there any difference in cut between the Lazer Z HP and the Lazer Z CT?

Is the Lazer Z CT just as durable as all the other models?

Lastly, why haven't more members here gone with the Lazer Z CT?

Thanks for your help!

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

4800.00 isn't too bad a deal although I have seen them a bit lower,depends on your particular area.
    The cut on the CT should be the same as the HP but will not stand up to the full size lazer with an ultracut deck.
    Wether or not you should go with the Lazer HP or not is up to you since I have no idea wether you are using this for commercial cutting or otherwise.For commercial cutting I would not reccomend the CT but rather the HP with a 52" deck not the 48" that you mentioned.
    The CT is probably as durable in the frame department and deck but for the abuses of every day cutting the pumps and wheel motors would be working a bit too hard for my likeing.
    People who cut lawns every day will not normally buy equipment that is high end homeowner type equipment because the horsepower,speed,and options are not quite up to the task.
    The Lazer CT is a great machine for it's intended purposes without a doubt,but it is not meant for the rigors of every day commercial cutting either. It may very well stand up to the abuse but you will soon find yourself looking for more................
    If it is all you can afford then do what you have to do or buy an Exmark walk behind until you make some money to buy that HP or full size lazer if you are buying it to cut lawns.

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Alarsh,

DVM gave a pretty solid and thorough evaluation of the machine. If this is for your own property or if you’re cutting part time the CT is a great machine. Even if you’re cutting full time using a lawn tractor the CT is a major leap in terms of performance and durability.

Personally if I were cutting full time I'd be less worried about the durability of the machine than I would be disappointed that I gave up some of the features of the HP. Items on the HP such as the speed, fuel capacity, foot lift, arm rests, larger tires etc. There's a lot to be said for all of these items and the convenience they provide in an 8+ hour day.

Thanks

Terry

4. gsh30b

gsh30b LawnSite Member

I'm also considering the CT for my yard and another 10-15 residential accounts (part time, obviously). It wouldn't be used more than 10-12 hours a week. Will this machine adequately handle this task?

5. eXmark

GSH30b,

You shouldn't have a problem. I would however take a close look at the Lazer hp just for all the added features.

Thanks

Terry

6. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I am cutting part time right now. I am still in school (high school to be exact) so lawn cutting is like a side job. I have decided that the Lazer CT is a little over kill for what I am cutting right now (8-10, 3/4 acre lots). I have also decided that my income isn't large enough to afford a $4,800 mower.

7. eXmark

Alarsh,

That's cool. I'm glad to here that someone in high school not only is trying to start a small business but is sharp enough to know what is and is not a good investment at this time. Just a few things to consider and please remember that I don't know your situation or what your time constraints are:

A walk behind mower will generally cut a lawn in 1/2 the time of a lawn tractor of the same cutting width. Depending upon what your using now you may be able to increase the number of jobs you do with out increasing the amount of time and energy you spend doing the jobs and make more money. Not that there's anything in it for me but you may also try shopping around for a used walk behind mower. You never know what kinds of deals may be out there.

Thanks

Terry

8. rockstate

rockstate LawnSite Member

Alarsh, I'm in highschool also previous to this year I was using a lawn tractor and this year as i turned 16 i decided i wanted to start a bigger business. We now mow 80 yards a week with two hydro 48s, a new tthp and an older bunton. We also have a scag 32. We are a 2 man operation. I dont know what your other extracurriculars are but with 2 guys and one guy on a tthp 48 with a sulky and one man trimming you can mow 40 yards a week with school I know because we did it. I dont know if you plan on expanding like us or not but if you invest in a tthp 48 you can become extremely productive

9. eXmark

Rock on Rock state.................That's really cool. Give yourself and your buddy a pat on the back man. You deserve it.

Terry

10. rockstate

rockstate LawnSite Member

Thanks Terry if it wasnt for eXmark we wouldnt have gotten where we are today