lazer z cutting problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by steve225, May 4, 2002.

1. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

New lazer z won't cut well at 3 1/2" or above. Have used factory blades and several others, all have been freshly sharpened before use.
    Any suggestions?

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

what exactly is it doing? a little more info might better assist everyone for diagnosing the problem. what size deck? mulching? side discharge? ultravac?

3. deason

deason LawnSite Member

With the deck raised that high the air cannot flow properly under the deck (no suction). Therefore it only cuts "some of the grass". Try letting it down a little till the cut gets better.

4. MikeLT1Z28

3 1/2 there should be enough air flow, anything over and i'll agree with deason.

here's what you can try since you cut with the deck that high.

take the 4 spacers where the blade meets the spindle and then the pulley and put 3 on the top side of the blade against the spindle, put the remaining 1 on top. this will get the blade close to the ground and allow more flow in the deck.

5. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Lazer spindles do not have the spacers like the Metro's, Mike.

They have a single Bellville washer that goes between the bolt and the blade and nothing between the blade and the bottom of the spindle.

Maybe the "rake/pitch" of the deck needs adjusting???

You may also want to check your engine RPMs. Blade tip speed could also be the culprit.

You can't always trust that the dealer has checked everything...they are human and make mistakes/oversights too.

The day I took delivery of my Lazer I checked the blade height against the marking on the deck adjustment quadrant...and it was a whole 1" off! The quadrant markings were indicating 3" when the blades were actually at 2". The rake/pitch was also off. I'm glad I checked it BEFORE cutting someones lawn! The owners manual has the necessery instructions on how to check and adjust the deck correctly....thank goodness.

It should cut fine at @ 3.5 inches...especially with hi-lifts.

I know my 2001 Lazer 60" (23 Kawi) does. You said "new" Lazer so I am assuming that it has a 'Ultra-Cut' deck also.

I hope this might help you.

6. MikeLT1Z28

hmmm... maybe i am thinking of lazer HP's. i think hoss said he has the spacers on his, maybe he meant his metro.

either way, hope he gets it fixed. i know what it's like to have that frustrating ill cutting problem. i was cutting all of my customers lots twice at first to knock down the stringy stuff. now that i know what was wrong it's awesome!

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

my new hp52 was also cutting almost an inch lower than the setting was indicating...did the adjustment...not ez for a dummy like me who never owned a z but I got it figured out....cutting at 3.5 is not at all an unreasonable expectation...aren't we the same group of professionals who 'preach' to our customers about the value of mowing high in the hot and dry part of the season???Then we buy an $8000 machine and have to fuss with getting a 3.5 to 4.0 sut?? Theres something wrong with that picture....Im sure Hoss gets tired of me whining about the hp...I'm still not as impressed as I thought I would be...but then alot of you say 'give it some time'...given the fact I'm 'Z stupid'...I'll be patient...we'll see.....

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

No spacers on a Lazer.

I lean towards SLS, sounds like you may have the pitch wrong. Post it on the eXmark forum and let one of the factory experts help you out.

Kitzy always whinning. haha. You have already got much better than when you 1st brought it home. After some hours you will learn how to turn and it all becomes second nature. Don't even think about it anymore. Just sit down in your office and go for it. Even better is sitting on the lazer and watching a helper do all the trimming. Now thats comfort. :)

9. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

Thanks for everyones reply have tried everything suggested.
    21 yrs cutting professionly not to many people i know are still around. I thought there might have been something new i didn't know about tried rake/pitch, rpm, sharp high lift blades,made sure deck was clean.hieght was little off quarter inch,when i got it that was the first thing i checked.just found the site yesterday will try to help you guys out with your ??"s thanks for trying to help .
    Does anyone have a lazer z 60" that does cut good at 3.50" ??

10. Yes I do.

What grass type? IS it thin?

Try Silver Streak high lifts.

And all the adj. must me good or it will not preform.

BTW Mine mows good now at 4" as that is my new cut height to keep from double and tripple mowing lawns.