1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lazer Z Deck?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Tower Rat 95B, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Tower Rat 95B

Tower Rat 95B LawnSite Member

My 60" Lazer has 2900 hours all is well ,cuts nice and I am satisfied but am concerned about the deck cause it has lots of side to side play (about 2 inches) I don't see a way to tighten it up cause all parts are worn and so are the 4 tabs that are welded to the deck............. My question is what can I do about this and what is Exmark doing on the newer units to avoid this problem?

Thanks, a happy customer
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Tower Rat 95B,

Glad to hear you're happy w/ your Exmark. Do you happen to know what model and SN you have? How long have you been experiencing this problem?

3. Tower Rat 95B

Tower Rat 95B LawnSite Member

Model LZ23KC604, serial #248422 the deck has been loose for about 5 years, I shimmed it up at the deck tabs with brass washers (3 years ago) and that helped however this year I took the shims out and see that the wear is in the deck tabs too which makes it hard to tighten up the slack. I measured the side to side swing and I get an tad over 2 inches .......
  4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Tower Rat,

Great questions, thanks for writing in with them.

This is something we'll hear from time to time, and is something we typically cover in our end-user seminars that we do throughout the country. The majority of the wear in the strut and strut brackets we see are from trailering, curbs (obstacles), lack of maintenance (greasing) or some combination of all of those.

Trailering in many cases is where the majority of the damage to the deck lift system occurs. While mowing the deck is banging around at 6-10mph, while on the back of the trailer it's essentially going the same speed as your vehicle. Think about all of them lovely potholes, washboards, dips etc., if your deck is suspended, it's banging around there pretty good. In our enduser seminars we say the best thing to do is have the deck in transport to put it on and off the trailer, but while it's riding on the trailer it should be all the way down. This will also help greatly reduce wear to the lift components as well.

For guys that do a lot of frontage or have a lot of obstacles we'll see decks where the side skirts (trim side) are worn to nothing. This means that the deck is probably getting a lot of side impacts which can separate the brackets and/or mushroom the struts.

If the struts don't get the proper lubrication they'll start to wear the pin and/or grind against the brackets. This essentially starts to 'mill' off the metal of the strut and/or bracket.

When any or a combo of this starts to happen and it gets a little movement, that little bit of movement will greatly accelerate the wear.

We have done somethings to help improve the strength, the most notable being we went from 1/4" thick strut brackets to 3/8". This helps the side impacts from immediately damaging the brackets, but it doesn't help much with the wear type failures. The best thing to do there is to keep them lubricated, drop the deck down on the trailer and avoiding deck skirt impacts.

I've seen guys use ready rod, washers and nuts as a replacement for the strut pins. With this you can 'pinch' the brackets back together to straighten them out. If the strut itself is worn, you can replace it or use washers like you have to space it back out. Just keep in mind that you want it to pivot up and down easily to allow the deck to float and change cutting heights.

If the brackets are real bad, I've known guys that have cut off the original brackets and welded new ones on.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, let us know.