Lazer Z Demo

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by robertbick, Jul 16, 2004.

1. robertbick

robertbick LawnSite Member

My local dealer dropped of a Lazer Z 60" 23HP demo for me to try out yesterday. This was my first time using a ZTR. What a great machine!

It rained on & off during the day so the grass was wet and also tall. With my Simplicity lawn tractor and Swisher Trailmower I would have to go very slow otherwise they would bog down. Some spots I would also have to over twice. The engine bogged a little in the tall wet grass going fast but I plan on getting the 27HP model.

I was really impressed with the cut quality especially in the thick wet grass. It was also a much smoother ride than my tractor and it didn't have the upgraded suspension seat which I plan to get.

I hope to order one next week if I can get the dealer to drop the price a little bit.

I also need a bit of practice on making the turns without damaging the turf. Any tips?

Bob

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Robert,

There are only a few things that cause the tires to damage the turf. One is poor turf quality/condition. There's not much we can do about that one but there are a few that we can.

One cause is skidding. This is generally the result of not slowing down the mower before beginning a tight turn or maneuver. Treat the mower like your car. You probably won't take your car from full speed to an abrubt 180 degree turn with out slowing down............then again you might and it could be a really fun ride but something will haft give.

I like to have new operators come to a complete stop before making a tight turn or a zero turn. Simply draw the sticks back slowly to neurtral and you won't skid either tire (usually).

The other cause of turf damage is "parking" the pivot tire when making a zero turn or other tight turn. You want to keep both tires rotating when making tigh turns. Simply pull the pivot tire in reverse before moving the other stick into forward. As a good rule of thumb when learning to ride a Z you should always feel one wheel begin to pull in reverse before making the push forward with the other stick.

Thanks

Terry

3. robertbick

robertbick LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tip Terry. I should be able to practice a lot more this weekend since I just ordered a new Lazer Z today from my local dealer. Says he should have it by the weekend. My neighbor already thinks I'm crazy cause I mow so often. Wait til they see how often I mow with my new toy!

Bob

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Bob,

It is fun isn't it!

Terry