Lazer Z EPS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BigEd, Apr 21, 2001.

1. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I went out and got the Lazer Z EPS with 60" deck and 26 hp EFI Kohler.How do you guys with this machine like it?Anything I should be aware of.I paid 8,995.00 for it with 7 hours on it.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Heard that they have a lot of Wheaties! Good deal with the good seat and foot lift. 7hrs though? You paid "NEW" prices, you should get "0" hours. Just my opinion. You should get a tiny tach or equivilent to monitor rpm's. Let me know what the injected Kohler is spinning from the factory.

3. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

what are wheaties?

4. Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder LawnSite Member

POWER!

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Ed, congratulations on the new mower, and you're going to LOVE it. I mean you-are-going-to-LOVE-IT! What a fine piece of machinery! I'd almost go as far as to say a work of art. I have one of these machines I bought about this time last year, and the only thing I regret is not getting one sooner. Of course, they weren't available any sooner, so it isn't all THAT bad. The 60" deck is just right for this machine, and you will have power to spare. The only thing you'll have to watch is what blades you use on this.. There are certain blades that will have a tendency to leave a slight streak in you rows. Good luck with it, and enjoy!

6. Givens Phillips

Givens Phillips LawnSite Member

I just bought one of these machines also, I paid $8800 with 0.4 hrs. So far I like everything but the cut. I have to go at about half speed to get a decent cut. I just put on a new set of blades hopefully that will remedy the problem. The old set (new with mower) appear as if they were never fully sharpened from the factory. Is this common with ExMark blades? This is my first ExMark, traded a JD M665. What blades do you recommend to use and which to stay away from? Thanks. I will love the machine when I fix this problem the seat is wonderful I can feel my legs at the end of the day!

7. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

I have been wondering how the blades are at other Exmark dealers. I bought two sets last week, and I almost didn't want them after I saw the edge on them. I can understand them not being that sharp, but if they thought that a coat of paint could hide the flaws in them....hmmmm
    Whatever they use to machine the edge really needs to be re-calibrated. (4 out of the 6 were the exact same) Will have to scan them and post a pic, can't really explain it.
    Just real rough,with 2 different hieghts per edge. Will never wonder about the quality of catalog blades again. No way could they be any worse!

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Seems like I brought this up the other day!

My friend with the Lazer has the same problem, leaving strips of uncut grass even with new blades. Sounds like the blades aren't overlapping as they should. If I were ya'll I would measure the blades to see if they are the exact length they should be. Maybe they sent a batch out that were a little short. 3 blades being 1/8" short adds up to strips being left.

Just a thought.

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If the blades from the factory or after market blades were as sharp as I get them, there would be so many law suits from people getting hurt it would put lawn mower mfg out of business or drive the prices up higher than what they are now. The first thing when getting a new mower or blades is to sharpen them. They are not even close to being sharp.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly! Shees! Just the paint alone is 1/16" thick. The "2 different thicknesses" that you are seeing are simply the rough grind cut grooves in the bevel. As far as what blades to run and what blades to stay away from, Exmarks and DC blades work excellent. They are just like each other, except the DCs are a little thinner and lighter. The thing to STAY AWAY FROM is blades that have a U shape cut in them just inside the foil. You HAVE TO run SOLID FOIL BLADES with this deck or you will get a streaking effect. As far as having to go half speed, try a good sharp set, and you will be amazed that you will be able to go full bore in normal cutting conditions and still get a see it to believe it cut.