Lazer Z EPS??

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by deere ZTR, Jul 12, 2003.

1. deere ZTR

deere ZTR LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I recently did a demo on a Lazer Z 60" Eps with a striping kit and fell in love with it. I was wondering what you are seeing for an average life span out of the wheel motors? Also I was wondering why in the front caster tubes there are set screws in two holes that look like they should be grease zerks, What gives?
    One last question. I was wondering what kind of price I should be looking at for this machine??

2. lahanko

lahanko LawnSite Member
    from NY

My Toro was the same way, now has grease fitting.

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Deere ZTR,

Thanks for taking the time to demo a Lazer Z.

As far as wheel motor life it's really hard to say. There are just too many variables to take into consideration. The key is maintenance. On our most popular model, the 27 hp air cooled 60" unit we often see hydro components that will out live 3 or 4 engines. Generally this is a pretty good gauge because if you perform great engine maintenance you probably do the same on the rest of the machine as well. If you have poor maintenance of the engine you will probably have poor maintenance practices on the rest of the machine as well.

The setscrews you reference are actually threaded plugs. Once per year you should remove the caster pivot cap, replace the threaded plugs with grease zerks and grease till you see fresh grease coming out of the caster bearings. At this time you should also tighten the nyloc nut on the top of the caster and then back it off a quarter of a turn. The nyloc adjustment is merely to set the "preload" of the caster pivot bearings and add a slight drag to them. This not only increases the life of the bearings but helps keep the casters stable at high speeds.

You'll need to contact your Exmark dealer for accurate pricing information however the MSRP is around $9999.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Thanks

Terry

4. deere ZTR

from Midwest

Why dont you just install the zerks from the factory and leave them in???
    Also I dont plan on buying until Feb.
    What should I expect for changer to this mower for next years model line??

5. eXmark

deere ZTR:

If you put zerks in there, people who are used to greasing things will want to grease these fittings all the time. This is not necessary and sends a mixed message to the customer. We try to avoid this confusion by installing plugs instead of grease fittings. If nothing else, having plugs instead of grease fittings causes the customer to either read through their manual, contact Exmark, or call their local Exmark dealer and ask why there are no grease fittings there. This helps to ensure that the customer is maintaining their Exmark in the correct manner.

Here's two more reasons for not installing grease zerks there. It's relatively easy to damage them, and some people will actually pump this cavity too full of grease. This will either damage the seal or pop the dust cap off. Without the dust cap, it's real easy for dirt and debris to get in there and damage the bearings.

In regards to the changes for next year's model line-up, you can expect to. . .wait until Oct. or Nov. until we update our web site like everyone else ;^). I can't give away any secrets this early in the year, but there will be some changes made to our existing product, and there may even be some new pieces of equipment to consider for '04! How's that for dodging a question?

Talk to you later,

Dustin

6. deere ZTR

from Midwest

I know where you're going there with the zerks being damaged and over greased I see that happen all the time, however why not just put the zerks on the back side of the tube so once the owner got the right idea on how to maintain them then they could leave the zerks in with out any fear of damage??? Does Ex-Mark supply the zerks so you have them when it comes time to use them??
    For the model change your saying that I shouldnt get to settled in on the current Z 60" Eps??
    Could you at least tell me if this model will still exist next year?

Thanks for the quick replys and great customer service!! There is nothing like getting it straight from the horse!!!

7. eXmark

Deere ZTR,

Yes the zerks are in the packet with the manuals, warraty registration etc.

I'll bounce your idea for relocating the grease fitting off the engineers and see where it ends up.

Thanks

Terry

8. eXmark

deere ZTR:

Yes, the 60" EPS will be around. If this is the product you are considering, I doubt that you will change your mind, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Talk to you later,

Dustin

9. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering if the zerks have always been included with the mower. I got my Lazer EPS last year and they were not included. Should I have had them? My mower is right at a year old now and I was just getting ready to do this. Are the zerks you buy all one size? What size do I need? I don't want to buy some that will not fit. Thanks

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Twice a year I unscrew the plugs and insert my rubber nipple grease gun (the one you also use to lube your string trimmer gear boxes) and pump a few shots in. This is a tapered roller bearing design that really doesn't see much complete turning (high speed anyway). Once or twice a year and it'll last forever.

This rubber nipple attachment for your grease gun is a REAL nice attachment. I recommend it to everyone.