1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lazer Z gas cap leaks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dhenegar, Apr 9, 2002.

1. dhenegar

dhenegar LawnSite Member

I just bought a new lazer Z 52" 20hp. I love it! The only thing I dont like is: If I fill my tanks up near the top gas leaks out of the little vent hole. It does this on both tanks with both caps. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks!
  2. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

Not trying to be a smart a*%, but don't fill so high. Only fill to the top of the tank, not the tube part. But as fast as those things suck gas down it won't leak for long. and yes it used to happen to me as well. Sig
  3. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

If you fill it right up to the top you are going to have this problem. When you fill it the gas is probably cold, then when you take it out and mow with it in the sun, it expands-pushing gas out through the vent hole. This can also occur with an overfilled tank on bumpy terrain. My suggestion it don't fill it so full, just a litttle less and you won't have this problem.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What's worse, is when you have the mower tilted back to change the blades, then discover you have gas running all over the rear wheel. About 9 out of ten Lazers I see have brown all down the side of the tank from gas running out. I never have been able to stand this, as it just gives a reflection of carelessness to all that see it. This is why I always keep my tanks clean.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I guess this is another reason to buy Choppers. The gas caps have thumb screws (as well as fuel gauges) that can be turned to close the vents in the event fuel starts to leak out. Just don't forget that you closed one or both!
  6. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Wow with that great gas cap I think I'll trade in my Lazer....not.:D

I had a problem with one tank shortly after I purchased my Lazer. Dealer replaced N/C.
  7. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I also had a problem with one tank last year when Lazer was new. Dealer replaced tank, problem solved.
  8. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

I also hate seeing other guys equipment with the infamous brown streak down the side of the tanks. I wash all the mowers at LEAST once a week. You wont see any brown inside my front casters! Other local turf dudes say I'm too picky, but hey, for $7500 a piece I'm gonna keep em' clean! :blob3: