lazer z gas caps

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by ffemt1271, Aug 26, 2003.

1. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i recently purchased a 2003 lazer z 60" 23 kohler. i noticed the '04 has a gas guage and everyone seems to like that idea.

Why doesnt exmark build a replacement gas cap with a guage in it for the older models?

seems that would be a big seller.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

ffemt1271,

The big reason we've never offered a cap type gauge is availability and durability. There are not that many out there that will fit our current tank thread. There may have been some that fit the older style tank thread but the concern there was durability.

The only other option was an Exmark only rather than a generic and the cost was a real big issue. It doesnÂ’t make sense to offer a cap that cost nearly as much as the tank.

The current tank gauge has performed well from what I've been told, is an "off the shelf" item and thus does not require and investment in some rather expensive tooling.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Thanks

Terry

3. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

can the 04 tank fit the 03's?

4. eXmark

DD,

The tanks will bolt on but you'll have a cavity in the RH tank where the 04 controls would have mounted.

Thanks

Terry

5. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Could you move the controls to the tank?

6. DieselDeere

from Midwest

What is the part # for the left

7. eXmark

Guys,

I talked with one of our engineers and it turns out it's a little more complicated that I first thought. To put the 04 tanks on an 03 or older Lazer Z you'll need the following:
    -tanks
    -PTO switch
    -choke cable
    -throttle cable
    -console for controls
    -wiring harness
    -motion control weldment (this is the apparatus under the front console area that the drive levers bolt to and control the pumps)
    -52" units will also need to replace the discharge chute so it can clear the tank.

DD, you'll also need the motion control weldment as well. Price on the tank alone is a $172 potatoes.

Thanks

Terry

8. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

So if I understand it correctly, I'm out of luck for a tank guage for my '02 unless I spend $350+++ ??

9. DieselDeere

from Midwest

Just for the left side all that is needed?

10. eXmark

Navig8r,

The sum of the parts can add up pretty fast. Unfortuneatly I've been unable to source an aftermarket cap with a gauge as well.

Thanks

Terry