Lazer Z HP 52" 23 or 27 Kohler?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CuttinUP, Apr 20, 2008.

1. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

I am still trying to decide on what size lazer to get. I am now thinking the 52 HP 23 Kohler w/tri-vantage deck. My question is about the 23 Kohler, is this a good engine. Does it have good power for a 52" deck on a ztr? All of my accounts are cut once a week mainly residential. My 48 TTHP has a 17 Kaw on it, and as far as the power for that size deck( I know it is a WB and not a ZTR) It seems to be fine. I have always been a big fan of "more power is better", but am I going to be disappointed with the 23? I think they offer the 27 Kohler on this ZTR as well but at what price increase. With the way fuel prices are getting, the 23 should use less fuel than the 27 also. I will probably get this machine some time this week. Thanks in advance for the input.

2. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

The 23 is an excellent engine. Like you, I am a power nut and I'm also looking at an HP; I want a trivantage deck.

If the 27 is available and the money isn't an issue, get it. I fear the cost will mean I get the 23.

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have owned both with a 60" deck and would get the 27 without hesitation. The 27 will not use more fuel (from my experiences). The last tank I checked on the Lazer with a 60" Ultra Cut the 27 Kohler used 1.18 gallons per hr. Your not going to save much unless you went efi. You can get by with the 23 but why? You may have some overgrown turf to deal with one day, or want to add a bagger, etc. When in doubt always power up.

4. CuttinUP

The cost with the 23 is 7000.00. Don't know what the increase is for the 27. But do I really need it on a regular basis. There might be that one that you get a few times a year that you say, "man I wish I had some more power" or not.

5. CuttinUP

I didn't think about the bagger thing, good point!
    You are the main one I was looking for an answer from. I knew you would twist my arm:laugh:lol

6. tacoma200

That's up to you. The biggest mistake I've made in buying ZTR's is getting an underpowered one and then ended up having to trade up. I've made that mistake twice and will never do it again. The 23 will get the job done. I like plenty of power and it's worth it to me personally. If you get the 27 you will be satisfied for sure. Especially up in Louisville you are probably doing more manicured weekly lawns than I am. But some of my jobs are super thick even after one week in the Spring. I would pay an extra and not blink an eye but I know everyone is different.

7. tacoma200

I didn't have to twist it too hard did I Tim?

8. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had both and the 27 is clearly the winner you will not be disapointed.

9. CuttinUP

Is the 27 also a vertical shaft? Should I even be concerned about that at all? Any idea of the price difference, roughly?

10. tacoma200

Most smaller ZTR's are vertical shafts. I think the 23 and 27 are basically the same engine design. The 27 has a little more displacement and probably a larger carb. Nothing wrong with either engine. Here is the link to the Exmark power options but I'm not sure about the price. There shouldn't be a huge difference. http://www.exmark.com/enginechart.htm#ride