Lazer Z HP 52" -- Kohler or Kawasaki??

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by ssmokn, May 16, 2004.

1. ssmokn

ssmokn LawnSite Member
    from CT

I'm looking at purchasing a Lazer Z HP with the 52" deck.

I'd like to hear the pros and cons of the Kohler 23HP vs. the Kawasaki 23HP.

I'm interested in power, reliability, longevity and parts availability.

Thanks.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

SSmokn,

Both are good engines but I always recommend that you go with what the dealer recommends. Generally a dealer will recommend the engine he has the most experience with, gets the best support (parts and technical support), has the fewest problems and gets the best warranty coverage when something falls into the "gray" area.

Thanks,

Terry

3. ssmokn

ssmokn LawnSite Member
    from CT

Terry,

Thanks for the feedback. I do realize that this is a very subjective topic and that they are both good engines.

I did talk with my local dealer and he really had nothing bad to say about either engine. He basically stated that in the size that I'm looking for they are both relatively problem free and will last a good long time if maintained properly. Parts availability isn't a problem either. He has a slight personal preference for the Kawasaki motor but he wouldn't hesitate to buy either one.

In the CT series I would probably go for the Kawasaki twin vs. the Kohler single. If I go with an HP I guess it is a toss up based on availability (the price difference isn't enough to sway me one way or the other).

Thanks again.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Ssmokn,

Good observations between the engine choices on the HP and the CT. You've done good job of research and you evaluation is right on. Don't worry about it too much you'll make the right choice for you.

Thanks

Terry

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Get the kawi!! Has more torque for tougher grass situations.