Lazer Z HP - Cutting quality problem

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by KB, Feb 2, 2002.

1. KB

KB LawnSite Member

2 years ago, I got into the mowing business part time and bought a 2000 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 48"/17 Kaw. It cut wonderfully but I wanted to ride so last year I sold it and bought a new 2001 Lazer Z HP 52"/23 Kaw. I cut all residential and nothing more than 1 acre in size. I thought that having a larger more productive machine might allow me to consider larger properties. It is a great machine, but I have lost 2 accounts and have another unhappy customer over the fact that this mower leaves a terribly uneven cut on the low side of the deck with the least bit of slope. My other mower did not do this. It has almost made me consider losing my butt to sell the Lazer and go back to a Turf Tracer but I had rather not do that. Most all of the terrain here is uneven so this may always be a problem. Why do I see this with the Lazer and not with the Turf Tracer. Is there anything that I can do? My dealer simply says that this is unavoidable?

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

to bad KB. the only thing id suggest would be to up your tire pressure. make the ride rougher tho.i think i run about 7-8 in front an 13-14 in rear tires. hasnt been a big problem w me.
    good luck an later.

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

KB,

It is always possible your dealer is correct, however in the past for the most part we've been able to correct it. Although we haven't heard it much with the current tire design we have heard a few times

In most of these cases the problem can be traced back to the tires, most often drive tires however front caster tires can effect this as well. If I'm correct you might be seeing the outside corner of the deck drop on quick turns causing a “stair step” type cut as well.

What is happening is rather simple when the weight shifts to one side and "loads" that tire the sidewall will flex and the tire will tend to "squat". This "squat" is magnified because the deck is hanging out past the drive tire. The simple solution is to add 2-3 lbs. of pressure to the tires and continue adding a couple more lbs. until the problem goes away. The drive tires should be set at 12-16 psi. and usually a few psi. eliminates this problem. This can vary slightly depending upon weight of the operator, types of attachments, types of tires and age of the tires as well. I would however repeat the process for the front tires as well to maintaining the proper deck "rake". The drive tires in particular seam to be most effective in eliminating this "stair step" cut.

Try adding a few lbs. of pressure, if that doesn’t correct it then add a few more and let me know what you find.

Thanks

Terry

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have another suggestion. When I first got my Lazer HP it gouged out on the turns and uneven terrain. I finally realized I didn't have the anti-scalp wheels set correctly. Look in the manual and it will tell you which hole the wheels should be in for whatever cutting height you use. By correcting this I am able to run the exact same amount of air in each tire without ever having problems again.